Review by Nerea -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 203
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Nerea -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Nerea » 01 May 2019, 10:15

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“We may not be the grandest nation on the planet, but we are the grandest nation among our species.” This is one of my favorite quotes by King Wilhelm, the King of Voulhire.

The city of Voulhire is a well-developed city with a magnificent legislative council team. The city has brave and skilled warriors called Mianora knights, who guard and protect the Voulhirians. Species from the neighboring lands admire the moral state and the abundance of resources the city possesses. This encourages them to plead with King Wilhelm to allow them to reside in the city. One lovely morning, during a court hearing, a black monster, interrupts the session and cause chaos in the courtroom. This result in bodies and splashes of blood scattered all over the room. And just like that, the whole city turns chaotic. Did Voulhire survive the havoc?

Apparently, the attack on Voulhire is an inside job. King Wilhelm has secret enemies, who pretend to support his sovereignty. The enemies are against the admission of the refugees from the Land of Princes into Voulhire. And of course, they had other selfish interests.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End by Matthew Tyzs is an excellent Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel that will put you at the edge of your seat. The plot is characterized by mysteries, adventure, and horror. Additionally, the author used the first and third-person point of view to compose his remarkable story. Moreover, the world-building is exceptional. For instance, the historical, social, geographical, economic and the supremacy of Voulhire and Soulhire cities are vividly depicted in the story. Also, the scenes that portray the monsters attacking the cities are incredibly described. The book contains noteworthy themes that beautifully paint the plot this includes treason, monarchy, aliens and spirituality. Finally, the dialogues in the designated parts enhance the plot structure.

The plot and characters are masterfully and diligently developed. I love how Galen, Demetrius and Meldorath are developed. Galen is initially depicted as an ordinary calm and humble person, but later as the plot advances, he is portrayed as a fierce warrior. Demetrius is quiet and unfriendly, but his awe abilities reveal his exceptional qualities. Meldorath is a fugitive whose evil schemes elevate him to a high position that he always yearned to achieve.

There are several pleasant aspects of the book, but I’ll just mention a few. I enjoyed the thrilling dreams some characters had, which spiced up the narrative. Additionally, the scenes that illustrate the black shadows’ attack on some characters are breathtaking. They literally affected my adrenaline flow. I learned new words and names like knights, mages, ramshire and liege. Ultimately, King Wilhelm’s wisdom and intelligence to handle weighty matters are notable.

I wasn't impressed by some traits featured in the book, like the magical spells and cursing words.

The book contains some life lessons, like encouragement from our close associate is all we need to make our hope sure. Privacy is a valuable asset that the majority wouldn’t want to lose. Some people are not emotional. And finally, “east or west home is best.”

This gripping, action-packed and intriguing narrative is worth reading. It’s the third book of the trilogy. It’s a stand-alone book for the fact that I understood the concept in the story. I’m glad to point out that the book has one grammatical error. So you don’t have to worry about unnecessary interruption during your reading. Therefore, I rate the book at a 4 out of 4 stars.

Those who love reading Sci-Fi/Fantasy books will enjoy reading this novel. However, if you don’t like magical traits in your story, I suggest you skip the book.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves

Like Nerea's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

Sahani Nimandra
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 13 May 2019, 03:05

Why does the cover page display a picture of a rhino? Is it about rhinos?
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 13 May 2019, 06:39

Sahani Nimandra wrote:
13 May 2019, 03:05
Why does the cover page display a picture of a rhino? Is it about rhinos?
Not really. The rhinos are only mentioned in one scene. The story is more about monsters and mages.

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 18 May 2019, 00:19

The story sounds intriguing with multiple themes and well developed characters. Thanks for great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 19 May 2019, 22:11

Sarah Tariq wrote:
18 May 2019, 00:19
The story sounds intriguing with multiple themes and well developed characters. Thanks for great review.
I appreciate your kind words. Thank you.

Artizi
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Artizi » 30 May 2019, 06:14

This sounds like a fascinating book! Thank you so much for the insightful and detailed review!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 01 Jun 2019, 02:19

I read this book and found it quite interesting, like the other books by Mathew Tysz. Like you, I found the character development of Galen and some others in this book to my liking. So, thanks for your wonderful review.

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 02 Jun 2019, 07:06

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 02:19
I read this book and found it quite interesting, like the other books by Mathew Tysz. Like you, I found the character development of Galen and some others in this book to my liking. So, thanks for your wonderful review.
I can't agree enough. I appreciate your kind words.

Mr Benji
2019 Reading Goal: 59
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Mr Benji » 02 Jun 2019, 12:44

I find the plot interesting of " enemies" that pretends to be friends. As one can learn life lessons from this story, apart from enjoying the story.

Moreover, the theme of "encouragement" is a welcome one too.

Thank you for the review.
Wise men lay up knowledge
(Proverbs 10:14)

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 02 Jun 2019, 23:05

Mr Benji wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 12:44
I find the plot interesting of " enemies" that pretends to be friends. As one can learn life lessons from this story, apart from enjoying the story.

Moreover, the theme of "encouragement" is a welcome one too.

Thank you for the review.
I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”