Review by flaming_quills -- Advent Of Silver

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
flaming_quills
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Review by flaming_quills -- Advent Of Silver

Post by flaming_quills » 30 Apr 2019, 11:24

[Following is a volunteer review of "Advent Of Silver" by Atilla K. Zengin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Advent of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin is a fantasy book that follows 20-year-old Jericho who escapes from prison and attempts to save the world from going through another war. The year is 2141 and World War Three has drawn to a close taking with it all common weapons of violence from guns and dangerous gases to explosives. The limiting weapons embargo casts a long shadow over the world and unbeknownst to most, one man seeks to lift this ban and once again plunge the world into chaos.

Jericho escapes from prison with the help of his brother Dantanian and together the two traverse cities and towns, on a mission to hunt down their father with whom they have a score to settle. They meet several characters along the way, including the stern ex-warden Liatha who is on a mission of her own to find her sister. Unfortunately, things go horribly wrong when something of value is taken from Jericho and he must then choose between retrieving it and saving the world.

This book has a wonderful premise and the way in which the author shaped the world and built the characters according to the circumstances was very intriguing. I particularly enjoyed the fight scenes between Jericho and various other characters even though it seemed, at times, that he was just picking a fight for the sake of it. I also enjoyed the varied personalities that populated the book from bright and bubbly to stern and austere.

I also enjoyed this book for the mere fact that it contained a simple story line that was very easy to follow. It was not too predictable and even though I often knew where the story was going, I still managed to get surprised by a few of the twists and turns the author sprinkled throughout the book.

What I disliked most was that things seemed to develop too quickly between characters. The relationship between Jericho and Dantanian, for instance, developed too fast. There was camaraderie between them even though they'd only met a few hours prior. Likewise with the relationship between Liatha and Jericho. The author appeared to be going for a love-to-hate angle but overshot by quite a bit. These relationships would have mattered more to the reader if they had seen them grow over the course of the book, more so the romantic relationships.

There were a few typos and grammatical errors but these were not so many as to take away from my overall enjoyment of the book. Aside from the few improvements I would like to see, the book was not too bad. For that reason I choose to rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I would definitely recommend it to fans of fantasy and dystopian books as it a combination of both. I would advise fans of complex storylines to steer clear of it as this one contains a rather simple story arc.

Advent Of Silver
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like flaming_quills's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”