Review by sursangeet_2000 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by sursangeet_2000 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I started reading the book, The Crystilleries Of Echoland, by Dew Pellucid, I began to assume that this book would be yet another one of the " Harry Potter" genre. And yes, I do consider Harry Potter to be a genre in itself. I started and stopped reading it from time to time, for that very reason. However, I request anyone who has just started to read this ... do not make the same mistake that I almost made! Though it seems to be inspired by Harry Potter, it has its own storyline, and if you stick with it, you will not be disappointed.

The protagonist of our story, Will Cleary is the lucky one, or so it seems. While thousands of children were disappearing, never to return, toddler Will Cleary returns after one week with a wolf and a falcon circling over him. Will's parents are not able to celebrate his return because his twin sister who was also kidnapped with him never returns. As Will tries to return to normalcy, his parents move heaven and earth searching for their lost daughter. And then Will's world turns upside down, as his pet wolf and falcon manage to communicate to him that his sister may not be dead.

And in order to find her whereabouts, he would need to leave the comfort of his home and go into a land, also known as Echoland, where danger awaits him at every turn. But he also makes some amazing friends such as Peter the magician, the prince of Echoland, who is also Will's look-alike and Auralius, a boy of mixed blood. Together, the four of them embark on a dangerous mission, to save Echoland and help the prince to become the king, as his father intended.

The story is an adventure, but also has friendship, courage and even close encounters with death. I have to give full credit to the author for keeping me hooked until the end of the book. I was able to identify with the protagonist Will Cleary and his sense of urgency. He started out trying to find more about his sister but ended up fighting for the lives of some very brave friends who wouldn't think twice before giving up their lives for him. My second most favorite character in the book was Peter, the magician. He brought a great deal of comic relief in an otherwise very action-packed adventurous storyline. He stayed by Will right until the end of their mission, almost dying ... twice ... and then being resurrected by his faithful friends.

The prince of Echoland is everything that he should be. A kind soul, and yet commanding in his appearance and behavior. The author managed to bring each and every one of the characters to life by her excellent description skills. Even though with the concept of a magical land and magical creatures, the premise might seem similar to that of Harry Potter, the author has managed to hold on to her own concept and imagination until the end.

Needless to say, the book did not disappoint me one bit. I'm simply amazed by authors who come up with such an amazing fantasy world, with its own set of rules and beings. To be honest, I couldn't really find a single thing that was wrong in this book. The writing was perfect. The story moved the way I wanted it to move. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time and the transitions between the scenes were immaculate. I couldn't find any spelling and/or grammar errors, which proves that it has been professionally edited. I'm very pleased to give this book a four out of four stars. This book has been intended for middle grade and young adult readers. They will not be disappointed by this action-packed adventure. It will be a treat for anybody who enjoys the fantasy genre.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sursangeet_2000's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

This isn't a genre that usually appeals to me, but your summary of the story sounds interesting! Thank you for the great review! I will be looking into reading this with my nephew who loves these types of stories!
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

wow, thanks for this succinct review. Seems to me Will's parents were so busy mourning his sister, they forgot he existed! I enjoy fantasy. Hope to give this a try!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
SangeethaNarayan

Jlbaird85 wrote: 08 May 2019, 14:44 This isn't a genre that usually appeals to me, but your summary of the story sounds interesting! Thank you for the great review! I will be looking into reading this with my nephew who loves these types of stories!
I'm glad you found my review interesting. I think your nephew will definitely enjoy this.
SangeethaNarayan

Cotwani wrote: 23 May 2019, 13:56 wow, thanks for this succinct review. Seems to me Will's parents were so busy mourning his sister, they forgot he existed! I enjoy fantasy. Hope to give this a try!
Hello. Thanks for the comment. Yes,that part made me sad too. But the parents were also learning to deal with their grief and tryimg to fimd the daughter too. Too much for annyone to handle I guess

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”