Review by magnoparisi -- The McCoys Before The Feud

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Review by magnoparisi -- The McCoys Before The Feud

Post by magnoparisi » 28 Apr 2019, 15:15

[Following is a volunteer review of "The McCoys Before The Feud" by Thomas McCoy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The McCoys before the feud written by Thomas McCoy is a pretty decent book. It’s pleasant reading, full of adventure and it is well worth recommending to western fans. To be honest I was a little sceptical when I started to read it. It’s uncommon to portray southerns as noble and self-sacrificing warriors trying to bring justice to America.

Being a huge western fan, i may be somewhat biased and i do know that a lot of plots are often repeated again and again but The McCoys before the feud is unique and catchy. It remembered me of Karl May. The book really let's you feel a human connection to the southern people who went through that conflict. The main character and his friends aren't major heroes or anything. They're just people like you and me having to deal with a war that destroyed their beloved land.

That said, let's talk about some negatives. People that aren’t necessary fans of western books will probably find the plot linear and predictable. At the beggining of the chapters it’s possible to understand what is going to happen by simply reading the title. There is no psychological deep characters and no explanations of their inner struggles. As the book goes on, everything seems so easy. Not even a single McCoy dies in the fight and the northern soldiers look like incapable clowns. Who is the main antagonist? Nobody, it’s really a book in which one family decide to bring justice to southern cities and everything works out perfectly.

The McCoys before the feud does have a kind of jumpy style of narration and there isn’t a decent amount of dialogue and thinking on the part of the characters. In most cases, a wise and respectable McCoy draws a battle plan and everybody just say “wow brilliant, let’s do it”. Some people may find "boring" if they look for the drama and like the relatively dull parts cut out of life. But, in general, if someone reads it with the right mindset there's a lot to be taken away from it and I think people will feel a real connection to their southern brothers that spans the century between us. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because i’m not sure if a non-western fan would like to read the other books. I myself really enjoyed the first book and i will certainly buy the other ones. For western fans, it’s a no-brainer.

The McCoys Before The Feud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like magnoparisi's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”