Review by NicholsC97 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by NicholsC97 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by NicholsC97 » 28 Apr 2019, 13:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is the second book in the Voulhire series. Assuming you read the previous book, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies , you have already followed the immigrant Galen as he moved his life from his war-torn country to Voulhire for the opportunity to change his life for the better. If you haven’t read the first book, I advise you to go back now and do so. This series has to be read in order for it to make sense.

This book once again follows Galen as he searches for his place in the country of Voulhire, only this time he is unknowingly walking right into the middle of a power struggle. Voulhire is entering a new era, just in time for a previously unknown world to show its dark power. This new threat will strike at the heart of Voulhire, the industrial city of Virko, the countries most technologically advanced city. Amidst this threat, the lord of Virko is striving to turn the city's government to capitalism as well as dealing with his own failing health. Follow Galen as he stumbles into the middle of this chaos while following an opportunity to better help his country.

I give this book a solid 4 out of 4 stars. While the first book felt like there was something missing, this one seems to have tied up all the miniature holes in the plot that had bothered me in its predecessor. In this book, Galen has been in Voulhire for a bit now and even with everything he has had to fight through previously, he still wants to do his best to be an asset to Voulhire and its people. I admire that quality in him, most main characters are pushed by vengeance, hate, or pain but Galen is motivated by none of those. This is the first character I’ve seen who genuinely just wants to make the place he lives in better, in any way he can.

There was nothing I didn't like about this book! The characters were good, the plot was gripping, and the tension in certain parts has you on the edge of your seat as you read. I can't help but laugh at poor Galen throughout the book. He’s practically the poster child for the saying, ‘I came here to have a good time and I’m honestly feeling so attacked right now.’ You just can't help but feel bad for the guy!

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes Sci-Fi themes or just a good action read. I honestly can't think of any one group of people who wouldn't like this book. My only caution is don't let children read it, mid to late teens should be okay. Matthew Tysz writes amazing books, and I’ll be happy to read his next story in the series now that he has me hooked!

There were no grammatical errors I could find, much to my happiness. As always, whoever the editor Tysz uses is amazing at their job!

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves

Like NicholsC97's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”