Review by Lana Shea -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lana Shea
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lana-shea.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Review by Lana Shea -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lana Shea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer is a young adult novel about two boys stranded alone on an island. It quickly becomes clear that the island is littered with man-made obstacles and death traps. The boys awake on the island with no memory of their past or how they got there. They must rely on one another to survive the perilous island. The only thing they know is that someone deliberately put them there. Each time they survive an encounter with one of the island’s many dangers, they are rewarded with food packets, bottles of water, and a key. The island is designed into four quadrants; each section consisting of a different climate and challenges. The boys must survive through teamwork and perseverance.

Mathew and Ryan are best friends, but their personalities could not be more different. Mathew is smart, cautious, and patient. Ryan is a natural athlete, good-looking, and impulsive. They work well together for the most part, and though their different personalities tend to clash their character traits complement one another. In addition to the island’s many threats, the boys struggle emotionally. No matter what the island hands to them the boys remain loyal to one another.

The plot was well-developed. Adventure and danger begin immediately, and the story is a quick and easy read. I enjoyed the characters and their development. The story has a “Hunger Games” feel to it. Furthermore, grammatically the book is well-edited as I did not notice a single error.

Before I note anything negative I feel compelled to acknowledge that this story was written by a young author. Caleb Boyer wrote this novel when he was twelve. I did not know this when I began reading the story and was completely astonished that a boy so young wrote it. Keeping this in mind, the writing style is a little amateur, as the dialogue is repetitive as well as the action scenes. The plot flows smoothly, however, and the story is engaging. My biggest issue with this story is how it ended. Technically, it did not have an ending. Caleb Boyer includes a note explaining his intentions and the meaning behind the story, but there were so many questions still left unanswered.

Ultimately, I give Island Games 2 out of 4 stars. I wanted to give it 3 stars, as I truly enjoyed the story. However, I could not do so due to the lack of an ending. The author is certainly someone to keep an eye on, and I am looking forward to seeing more from him. If you enjoy young adult novels or are simply impressed by the young author I recommend checking it out.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lana Shea's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I read this book for review as well and felt, as you did, that Caleb Boyer has a great career ahead of him. I also agree that the book was a bit repetitive. Still, a great effort by a young writer. Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

This sounds like a book I'd really rather avoid. Your review was really useful and insightful, thank you so much! Kudos :)

If you wouldn't mind checking my review, it would be greatly appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=21&t=108987
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Lana Shea

Post by Lana Shea »

Kelyn wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 22:15 I read this book for review as well and felt, as you did, that Caleb Boyer has a great career ahead of him. I also agree that the book was a bit repetitive. Still, a great effort by a young writer. Thanks for the review!
Absolutely! I look forward to seeing more from him. Thanks for reading!
Lana Shea

Post by Lana Shea »

Artizi wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 10:00 This sounds like a book I'd really rather avoid. Your review was really useful and insightful, thank you so much! Kudos :)

If you wouldn't mind checking my review, it would be greatly appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=21&t=108987
I would be happy to! Thanks for reading!
rhendic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhendic.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Post by rhendic »

This story is totally giving me 'Maze Runner' meets 'The Hunger Games' vibes. I was going to select this book for future reading and am now glad that I passed. I am glad to have read your well-written review. Excellent job Lana.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”