Review by IamShing -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
IamShing
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Review by IamShing -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by IamShing » 27 Apr 2019, 10:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End by Matthew Tysz is a dark and magical fantasy novel.

Welcome to Voulhire, a place where magic is the most lethal way of dispatching your enemy, and the danger of the blade is just a secondary option.

While Galen continued to discover the wonders and secrets of his new land, an unexpected event made noise in Virko. A mysterious assassin attacked the kingdom and tried to end the king’s life. With unquestionable skills, he left a mark on the king’s flesh and seriously wounded his knights. Due to the alarm, the king mandated extra security upon the walls of the kingdom. But, no level of security could stop the upcoming disasters. More powerful adversaries came bringing more casualties in the kingdom. Bloodshed, chaos, and darkness ate the entire city.

Action hit the core of the story along with nerve-wrecking thrill. The additional spice pushed me to turn the pages until the end. Its unique approach made it stand out. I liked the powerful set of characters and the non-dramatic dialogues. I have read the first two books and I could say that this one stood out among them. The prior books were excellent, however, the twist and style of writing used in this book impressed me more. The message was strong, and I was able to visualize the scenarios crystal clear. The picture is so vivid, I felt like I was watching a movie. And, if this was ever adapted into a movie, I will surely watch it because it reminds me of two epic movies: Game of Thrones and Harry Potter.

My only concern was the diversity of narration. There were parts when the author used first-person and sometimes he used third-person. It kind of confused me. Also, I was not satisfied with Galen’s adventure in the story. I was expecting for him to end the monster which attacked the city or at least gave justice to the death brought by it. I am a little dissatisfied, so, I decided to deduct one star. Therefore, I award the book 3 out of 4 stars.

This is for people who have an open-heart for darker theme. Some vulgar language like “f**k,” was used in the book and some adult-related matters, so, I do not think this will be suitable for readers under eighteen. However, those contexts were not that violent nor rude, so as long as you keep an open-mind, I do not think that those minor context will affect you no matter what age you are.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves

Like IamShing's review? Post a comment saying so!
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by Fazzier » 08 May 2019, 10:19

I like the course the book has taken so far. From, your review, I think I'll enjoy the book as much as the previous ones in the series. Thank you this wonderful review!

Agnes098
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes098.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Agnes098 » 08 May 2019, 16:03

I haven't read the first two books but I am enjoying this one also. Your review made it even more intetesting, thank you.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Burying Leo by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh

Post by Prisallen » 09 May 2019, 16:06

I have not read any of the books, but your review made me want to read this one, especially since I love Game of Thrones. Great review!

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Nerea » 09 May 2019, 23:06

Your review is incredible. I also wasn't satisfied with Galen's adventure. After finishing reading the book I was left asking myself, What happened to Galen?
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

chiefsimplex
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by chiefsimplex » 15 May 2019, 01:02

Great review! I have read and reviewed the first two books and it seems Matthew Tysz never ceases to impress. Thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus » 16 May 2019, 15:32

A dark and magical fantasy novel with action along with nerve-wrecking thrill sounds quite appealing. Hope you enjoyed the book. Thanks for a nice review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 659
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: The Indifferent Stars by Peter Traynor

Post by Laura Bach » 23 May 2019, 06:20

I don't usually read dark fantasy, but it sounds really fascinating when I read it from your review. Too bad that the ending is not to your satisfaction. I think that is one of the most important aspects of a book. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”