Review by Letora -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: The Woven Ring
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Review by Letora -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Letora » 26 Apr 2019, 08:55

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adam has been an outcast his whole life. He feels awkward and uncomfortable around other people. To Adam, other human beings are animals. Just the smell of another human being angers him. He does his best to blend in with society but is tempted to harm others. He also harbors an inappropriate affection for his mother. He knows what he thinks and wants is wrong, but is unable to curb the darkness inside of him. Until Carly Wit enters his life. Adam's whole world is about to change the minute he lays eyes on her.

Carly Wit is in hiding. She is a member of the Descendants, a race of humans that have special abilities. Accidentally using her powers in public, her family is forced to send her away or risk the Iksha finding her. The organization is determined to eradicate all Descendents. Shipped across the country to California, Carly now lives with her Aunt. When she meets the arrogant and standoffish Adam, she is wary of the attraction that begins. But as they grow closer, Carly understands why Adam never fit in with society. He is a Descendent. Adam will begin to combat the darkness inside himself and learn the extent of his abilities. Together Adam and Carly will have to keep their friends and families safe from the Iksha.

I wish I could score Opaque better, but there were too many errors to be able to score it higher than 2 out of 4 stars. Every chapter seemed to have either extra words or missing ones. The beginning of the story is also deceiving to the rest of it. I'm a fan of twists and turns in a story, but there wasn't enough of a build up for the twist to have any effect. The story also starts off as a fast-paced, interesting read focused on Adam, but loses momentum halfway through and draws away from the main character.

Reading how much Adam struggled with containing his rage towards others was intense. The reader can clearly see his internal struggle. Adam knows he shouldn't hate humans and he should not be attracted to his own mother. He is simply unable to stop himself. You are kept on the edge of your seat witnessing the rage that spills over and the dark choices Adam makes. He tortures himself with self-doubt and you wonder if he can redeem himself. His story arc starts off strong, but when Carly enters the picture, it starts to die off. The story draws away from Adam's inner struggle and you are no longer able to see the development from inside his mind. You become a bystander looking at him through Carly's eyes.

When Adam begins to fall into the background, I started losing interest. While learning about the different abilities and clans of the Descendants was great, I wanted more Adam. The book still centers around his abilities and development, but it lacks details. He also rapidly changes from a darkly disturbed boy to being what appears to be a perfect boyfriend. A change like that shouldn't be instantaneous.

There was also a rush of new characters about halfway through the book. So many that I could not keep their names or purposes straight. Calix Leigh-Reign also has a tendency to head-hop with characters. I didn't mind switching between thoughts mid-chapter for Adam and Carly, but I could have done without all the surface thoughts of minor characters. It just wasn't important information for the story.

I think the story should have focused on building up the Descendents and Iksha world. There wasn't enough time spent focusing on how the two groups lived and their history together. It seemed that as soon as the Descendents were brought to light, the story jumped into battles and all-out war. I didn't have enough time to like or dislike members of the Descendents. I couldn't even figure out why they behaved as they did. I would have been happy just having a story focused on Adam and Carly. Book two could have then introduced more of the struggle between the two groups.

I would recommend this book to fans of sci-fi with a heavy dose of romance. It is suitable for young adults, as the relationships in the novel are intense, but still acceptable on a younger level.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Letora's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by Fazzier » 08 May 2019, 11:00

I agree with you the author should have worked on developing the worlds of the Descendants and lksha. This would have been intriguing since those are the words readers ain't aware of.

I've been considering to look at the book, and this review has just given me an idea of what to expect if I choose to go ahead. Thank you for this informative review!

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by allbooked+ » 08 May 2019, 14:06

It makes me so sad when an author has a wonderful idea for a story and it is not communicated well or lessened due to lack of editing. Kind of like wasted effort! Hopefully this author will revisit the work and make it better.

Letora

Post by Letora » 08 May 2019, 20:41

Fazzier wrote:
08 May 2019, 11:00
I agree with you the author should have worked on developing the worlds of the Descendants and lksha. This would have been intriguing since those are the words readers ain't aware of.

I've been considering to look at the book, and this review has just given me an idea of what to expect if I choose to go ahead. Thank you for this informative review!
Thank you for taking the time to read a comment on my review. If you choose to read Opaque I would love to hear your thoughts on it!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Letora

Post by Letora » 08 May 2019, 20:42

allbooked+ wrote:
08 May 2019, 14:06
It makes me so sad when an author has a wonderful idea for a story and it is not communicated well or lessened due to lack of editing. Kind of like wasted effort! Hopefully this author will revisit the work and make it better.
I agree! Whenever there are typos it pulls me out of the moment. Thank you for taking time to read and comment on my review :)

imSunshine
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by imSunshine » 12 May 2019, 03:45

I liked that "outcast" sound, it makes me think of good movies like grim..this might be a good read

Letora

Post by Letora » 12 May 2019, 11:50

imSunshine wrote:
12 May 2019, 03:45
I liked that "outcast" sound, it makes me think of good movies like grim..this might be a good read
I always enjoy reading about the outcasts :) definitely one of the draws in this book! Thank you for reading my review!

imSunshine
Currently Reading:

Post by imSunshine » 12 May 2019, 17:56

If that is the case, then maybe we will make great partners 😊 and you are welcome

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Burying Leo by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh

Post by Prisallen » 12 May 2019, 19:58

It sounds like there was a good beginning, as far as character development and being fast-paced, but, lost momentum as the story progressed. I don't think it is a good fit for me. Thank you for a wonderful review!

jeminah28
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 260
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by jeminah28 » 12 May 2019, 21:45

If I read this book, I guess I can't grasp the author's point on each character, too.
"Reading never stops even if there is an ending."
_jem_

daviddawud
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daviddawud.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by daviddawud » 12 May 2019, 22:41

While I love the plot of the story, I'm however dissapointed that the author fails to communicate his ideas effectively to readers. Having too many errors is also a significant drawback for me. Great review.

imSunshine
Currently Reading:

Post by imSunshine » 13 May 2019, 06:39

the idea is there, i cant wait to read it until it is polished more

Letora

Post by Letora » 13 May 2019, 17:04

jeminah28 wrote:
12 May 2019, 21:45
If I read this book, I guess I can't grasp the author's point on each character, too.
Thank you for stopping by to read my review!

Letora

Post by Letora » 13 May 2019, 17:05

daviddawud wrote:
12 May 2019, 22:41
While I love the plot of the story, I'm however dissapointed that the author fails to communicate his ideas effectively to readers. Having too many errors is also a significant drawback for me. Great review.
Thank you for stopping by to read my review! I agree errors take so much away from a story.

juliusotieno02
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by juliusotieno02 » 15 May 2019, 23:16

I really like your intensed suggestions on areas of improvements. As a fan of sci-fic, i look foward to reading this book. Thank you for the review.
To walk around with a "self" that you can proudly say, "That's me", oh such freedom, such ecstasy

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”