Review by Kimberly Grow -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly-grow.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Review by Kimberly Grow -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Kimberly Grow »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid is an entertaining fantasy novel written for young adults. Though I am far from a young adult, I enjoyed listening to this audio book profusely. Tension, pain, adventure, royalty, and so much more packed into this book that I can scarcely remember it all.

What would you do if you learned that there was another land where the people are echoes of living humans called “Sounds?” In this fantasy that is what a listener will find. The Echoes live in Echoland and each “Sound” has an identical Echo in this fantasy world. Dastardly folks in Echoland want to harm Echoes by killing their Sounds. Will Cleary is one of these “Sounds” and his Echo is Prince William Cleary in Echoland. A high-ranking Echo, who is seeking the throne for his own, has murdered the true King of Echoland. Prince William can take his place if he can prove the usurper had him killed. Will and William and a myriad of other Echoes and sounds, one of which is a combination of Sound and Echo, work together to try to bring peace to the land and to do away with the awful Fate Sealers and Fortune Tellers so that the Echoes can find harmony in their land.

The narrator of this audio book, B.J. Harrison, does an incredible job telling the story. He utilizes countless voices to distinguish the characters and this makes it easy to understand. To be frank, the Fate Sealer voices are so creepy that I actually got a chill up my spine the first time Harrison spoke for them.

I cannot find one thing that was wrong with the narration, nor with the story itself. The author built a world full of imagination and mystery. I have found no other fantasy novel geared toward young adults that compares to this one. I would list this story among the greats, alongside Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Narnia.

Thus, I award this audio version of the novel a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. I think that anyone who loves the fantasy genre will find something to love about this novel. I recommend it to teens as some action could be a bit scary for a younger child, in particular, those who are sensitive to violence and the mistreatment of animals. Adults who are young at heart and loves a grand adventure will also enjoy this novel.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kimberly Grow's review? Post a comment saying so!
"If you don't see the book you want on the shelf, write it." -Beverly Cleary :techie-studyingbrown:
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Lovely review! I reviewed and enjoyed this book as well.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I haven't heard the audio version but, having read this book I'm glad that the audio lives up to the promise of the text
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:

Post by Kimberly Grow »

allbooked+ wrote: 05 May 2019, 12:14 Lovely review! I reviewed and enjoyed this book as well.
Thank you! It really is a good story and the imagination of the author is outstanding.
"If you don't see the book you want on the shelf, write it." -Beverly Cleary :techie-studyingbrown:
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:

Post by Kimberly Grow »

Nisha Ward wrote: 05 May 2019, 12:34 I haven't heard the audio version but, having read this book I'm glad that the audio lives up to the promise of the text
I have to admit, this audiobook was an experiment. I don't usually listen to audiobooks because my mind wanders or I can't get back into it as well if I have to stop in the middle. I love the idea of audiobooks because it is much like listening to a movie if done well. This one is. The characters had my attention from the beginning.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I'm currently reading this book and so far it's amazing. I agree that the concept is super interesting. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Wonderful review. I like how the author uses all types of different voices for characters. It always creates a good reading experience when the narrator has an interesting voice!
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:

Post by Kimberly Grow »

Delaney35 wrote: 08 May 2019, 06:24 I'm currently reading this book and so far it's amazing. I agree that the concept is super interesting. Great review!
Thank you so much! This concept is certainly one that I had never come across before and it is fascinating.
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:

Post by Kimberly Grow »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 08 May 2019, 08:11 Wonderful review. I like how the author uses all types of different voices for characters. It always creates a good reading experience when the narrator has an interesting voice!
Aside from the imaginative story, I think that the narration is my favorite part. I love the use of all of the voices. Some audiobooks are read with a soothing voice that lulls me to sleep, but this one was incredibly entertaining.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Kimberly Grow wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 19:32 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid is an entertaining fantasy novel written for young adults. Though I am far from a young adult, I enjoyed listening to this audio book profusely. Tension, pain, adventure, royalty, and so much more packed into this book that I can scarcely remember it all.

What would you do if you learned that there was another land where the people are echoes of living humans called “Sounds?” In this fantasy that is what a listener will find. The Echoes live in Echoland and each “Sound” has an identical Echo in this fantasy world. Dastardly folks in Echoland want to harm Echoes by killing their Sounds. Will Cleary is one of these “Sounds” and his Echo is Prince William Cleary in Echoland. A high-ranking Echo, who is seeking the throne for his own, has murdered the true King of Echoland. Prince William can take his place if he can prove the usurper had him killed. Will and William and a myriad of other Echoes and sounds, one of which is a combination of Sound and Echo, work together to try to bring peace to the land and to do away with the awful Fate Sealers and Fortune Tellers so that the Echoes can find harmony in their land.

The narrator of this audio book, B.J. Harrison, does an incredible job telling the story. He utilizes countless voices to distinguish the characters and this makes it easy to understand. To be frank, the Fate Sealer voices are so creepy that I actually got a chill up my spine the first time Harrison spoke for them.

I cannot find one thing that was wrong with the narration, nor with the story itself. The author built a world full of imagination and mystery. I have found no other fantasy novel geared toward young adults that compares to this one. I would list this story among the greats, alongside Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Narnia.

Thus, I award this audio version of the novel a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. I think that anyone who loves the fantasy genre will find something to love about this novel. I recommend it to teens as some action could be a bit scary for a younger child, in particular, those who are sensitive to violence and the mistreatment of animals. Adults who are young at heart and loves a grand adventure will also enjoy this novel.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kimberly Grow's review? Post a comment saying so!
Great piece of review you compiled here.The book is not my genre type but you seem to challenge me to reading this.
mcdonaldchola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonaldchola.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mcdonaldchola »

Kimberly's review of the book by is very wonderful. Though I enjoy reading books I think I can equally be entertained by the audio.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”