Review by ccundall2130 -- Followed my Star by AR Annahita

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ccundall2130
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Currently Reading: TIME'S UP
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccundall2130.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3258

Review by ccundall2130 -- Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Post by ccundall2130 » 24 Apr 2019, 15:24

[Following is a volunteer review of "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Followed My Star, by AR Annahita, is listed as a romance. This book turns out to be a, sort of, autobiography about the amazing experience the main character/author had finding her current husband. Annahita, the main character, is Iranian and living in Germany. She met an American Soldier that was stationed in Germany. From the beginning, she has language barriers with her new love, Chris. When introducing him to her family, she is forced to translate from English with him, Persian with her mom, and German with her step-father. They travel many places together and encounter differing opinions of their relationship. However, they don’t let the adversity get in their way. They get engaged, subsequently get married, and move back to the United States.

What the book doesn’t talk about, and with a little more research, Annahita is, amazingly, creative and talented. She is not only an author, but also a photographer and artist. Granted, this book is her first attempt at writing, it left much to be desired as an easy read, romance. When I pick up a romance, I am usually looking for something to just entertain me. This book starts out interesting and there are obvious language issues, because the word choices were questionable. The pronoun tenses would change frequently within sentences and became very distracting. Due to the language issues, there were many grammar mistakes and words completely out of context.

For the most part, this book was entertaining and sweet. She was very naïve and had to learn a lot about what she wanted her perfect person to be and how life actually can be. I loved that she remained positive and stubborn about what she wanted. The one thing a really didn’t like about this book are the political views she brought into it. There were several generalizations about America and the Army. Number one, I didn’t appreciate a sweet romance suddenly jumping into politics, then jumping back into romance. Number two, her political views are acceptable if expressed from her view point. Generalizations are just that, generalizations, and not necessarily accurate or the viewpoints of all her readers.

This book had a lot of potential, once I got around the language/grammar issues and started reading just the content. It would be a good read for a younger audience interested in the issues a foreign immigrant faces when thinking of a life in the United States, so long as the reader doesn’t mind the political point of view included.

Since this book was entertaining and the language barrier wasn’t an obvious deterrent, I started out thinking it would a 3-star book. I decided on a 2 out 4 stars rating. I wanted an entertaining romance and the political generalizations made me irritated enough to lose some enjoyment of it. However, it isn’t a 1-star book because it is entertaining and the author was so optimistic, considering the great challenges she faced growing up and her early adulthood.

Followed my Star
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ccundall2130's review? Post a comment saying so!
Crystal Cundall

Asking if I like reading is like asking if I like breathing.

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by allbooked+ » 05 May 2019, 11:45

I agree that political generalizations detract from a story - I remember a teacher of mine that said you have to write for your audience! A book has a wide audience and that should always be considered unless you only want to limit readership. Thank you for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”