Review by Dentarthurdent -- The Sins of a Master Race

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Dentarthurdent -- The Sins of a Master Race

Post by Dentarthurdent » 23 Apr 2019, 08:40

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sins of a Master Race" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The third installment in Matthew Tysz’s dystopian series, The Turn, begins with our protagonists, Ashley and Scholar, comfortably adjusted as co-captains of a ship they acquired at the end of the second volume. While Ashley struggles to overcome trauma caused by Cattleprod’s actions three months past, Scholar is immersed in training his own guild of assassins, while assisting his best friend in all the ways he can, feeling woefully inadequate at the task.

Meanwhile, the author introduces Aurora and Mavon Defury, cousins whose unfathomable powers strike fear into the hearts of the gods. The cousins wreak havoc, in a bid to destroy the god Meret and his beloved universe, Anima Mea.

Tysz gets to show off his commendable world-building skills in the depictions of Anima Mea, a "universe of worlds within worlds." Essentially, it is a cohabitation of the same space by different planes of existence, all overseen by a time-and-space-hopping city that Meret resides in.

Meret has dedicated his kingdom to imposing punishment upon the souls reaped during the Turn, and, with the assistance of his allied gods, reincarnate those he finds worthy of new life on Earth, poised to conquer the blue and green planet on command. The so-called ‘Turn’ had been a worldwide catastrophic occurrence two and a half years prior that caused the death of the majority of mankind, leaving the survivors permanently scarred. The Cousins Defury, who not only survived, but also conquered Meret’s perdition, aim at saving the Earth from his dastardly plans, irrespective of the cost.

By the completion of this volume, the phenomenon of The Turn is clearer to the reader, as one is able to understand why for two years, the sun had been so dull as to barely support life, the ground often shifted, the rain was only ever a drizzle, and most importantly, why the turn occurred to begin with. While this does provide some insight, it nevertheless causes the tale to lose the mysterious allure; the intrigue of the unknown which had been, to be honest, its main appeal.

While maintaining some of the same themes, The Sins of a Master Race has diverted from its initial genres; it has lost its horror and psychological thriller aspects, in favor of a distinctively fantasy-mythology style. There are many who would appreciate that, but unfortunately, if one's fascination with the first book was influenced by the former genres, the adjustment may disappoint them. It feels as though the tale is gradually morphing into something completely different, considering only resembles its predecessors in its final fifth.

I rate The Sins of a Master Race 2 out of 4 stars. The parallels loudly drawn between the relationship of the Cousins Defury and that of the pair of protagonists are overly predictive and painfully on the nose, not to mention, the author spends too much time emphasizing the uniqueness of the bond between Ashley and Scholar.

My penultimate complaint is that the time-frames assigned to various occurrences are impracticable. For instance, after training for barely two years in his adult life, Scholar is an assassin of unequaled skill. Also, the technology enjoyed by the post-Turn civilizations had been rather rudimentary for two years, yet Cattleprod takes control and in the midst of all his conquests, is able to bring the technology back to its pre-Turn glory, in barely six months. If this rebuilding had been so uncomplicated, why had it not been undertaken already?

Lastly, the series has surely become predictable; by this point we are aware that if the opportunity arises, Scholar will inadvertently choose to fulfill his self-assigned task of dispatching gods, and will accomplish the objective with unrealistic ease. Once more, the gods are not as formidable or infallible as the name would suggest, no less than seven of them having been slain by humans thus far. Their mediocrity is compounded by the fact that they typically plead for their lives rather pathetically at the very end. These reasons are why I could not happily give this volume a 3 star rating, as I did its predecessors.

On the other hand, I appreciated that the emotional aspects were developed better, with attention to minute gestures, thoughts and actions, which inspires a feel of plausibility. Furthermore, romantic facets of the relationships between certain characters are delved into. As a plus, we have an opportunity to see different perspectives of people, like Cattleprod, who turns out to be a man not entirely devoid of honor or scruples, rather, one haunted by his past mistakes, who always honors his accords and pays his dues.

Additionally, subplots hinted at in the first novel unfold beautifully and integrate with the overarching storyline to form an intricate and rich narration. The best example of this is the tale of Jasper Rose, a survivor of unthinkable violation by scientists and laymen alike. His story, initially a macabre one, is still intriguing, not to mention hugely promising, and seeing as I expect his participation in the sequel, my greatest hope is that he is not underutilized.

As usual, Tysz’s use of language is remarkable. The words of his characters are attractive in their simplicity, while compelling in their truth, such an example being, “The greatest blasphemy is the destruction of optimism.” The author’s unique perspective is a breath of fresh air, like his description of the suffering of certain beasts, who “could feel pain, but it was like a layering pain, a pain on top of an already suffering existence; a deep stab in the back (would be) just an added inconvenience.”

This book is best suited for adult fans of the fantasy and dystopian genres. I would not recommend it to anyone who has not read the preceding volumes; The Turn and The King of May.

To conclude, I shall leave you with the powerful words of Scholar, “We’re going into that world. We’re going to experience it. We’re going to enjoy it. And then we’re going to conquer it.”

The Sins of a Master Race
View: on Bookshelves

Like Dentarthurdent's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 165
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Lottie Loser by Dana L. Brown
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 03 May 2019, 15:18

I have been considering starting this series, but this sounds like a very disappointing sequel to the other events, with the unrealistic timelines and themes as well as the shift from psychological thriller to fantasy. Thanks for a thorough review!

Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland by Judy Juanita

Post by Fazzier » 03 May 2019, 16:40

I've also read the book and just found it in tune with its predecessors. In fact, I found this book the most improved of the three of the already-released books in The Turn series. Anyway, thanks for the review!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 03 May 2019, 16:52

Great, honest review. It's too bad the final book lacked excitement!

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent » 06 May 2019, 04:24

unamilagra wrote:
03 May 2019, 15:18
I have been considering starting this series, but this sounds like a very disappointing sequel to the other events, with the unrealistic timelines and themes as well as the shift from psychological thriller to fantasy. Thanks for a thorough review!
It's really not too bad though. For one, you don't have to keep the lights on if you're reading it at night...
The problem mainly lies in the fact that the author is too kind to his favourite characters; he makes their goals too achievable. Plus I had become rather committed to the books original style because of the mystery.

Thanks for reading my review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent » 06 May 2019, 04:34

Fazzier wrote:
03 May 2019, 16:40
I've also read the book and just found it in tune with its predecessors. In fact, I found this book the most improved of the three of the already-released books in The Turn series. Anyway, thanks for the review!
I'm glad you enjoyed the book, so did I, but sadly, not as much as I had hoped I would. Either way, I'm definitely getting the sequel when it's released. Thanks for commenting!

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent » 06 May 2019, 04:43

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
03 May 2019, 16:52
Great, honest review. It's too bad the final book lacked excitement!
Thanks for commenting! I hope I'll like the sequel better.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: Can I Kill Him Now?
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Fire and Water by Jo Eshuys
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 06 May 2019, 06:20

I'm three books late now. I am intrigued by all this turning and re-turning. I hope I can manage to read Tysz soon.

Radiant3
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by Radiant3 » 06 May 2019, 07:56

The premise of the storyline seemed quite promising. It would have been great if the story had lived up to its full potential. Your review is very interesting and thorough.

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent » 06 May 2019, 08:10

Miriam Molina wrote:
06 May 2019, 06:20
I'm three books late now. I am intrigued by all this turning and re-turning. I hope I can manage to read Tysz soon.
When you do, I would love to know what you think. Thanks for commenting.

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent » 06 May 2019, 08:12

Radiant3 wrote:
06 May 2019, 07:56
The premise of the storyline seemed quite promising. It would have been great if the story had lived up to its full potential. Your review is very interesting and thorough.

You're right, it was promising. I had such high hopes. Not giving up yet; I'll still read the sequel. Maybe the story will find its way back.
Thanks so much for the kind words, and also for commenting.

danielleamy
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: All Together Dead
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy » 06 May 2019, 10:18

I've been considering this book series. It's interesting to see how this book differs from the previous ones. I like reading all of the genres you mentioned, so hopefully I won't mind the changes between the first few books and this one. Thanks for a great review!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

IamShing
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing » 06 May 2019, 12:50

This was a greag book from The Turn series..I have read it, and it was good. Thanks for the review.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent » 07 May 2019, 02:42

danielleamy wrote:
06 May 2019, 10:18
I've been considering this book series. It's interesting to see how this book differs from the previous ones. I like reading all of the genres you mentioned, so hopefully I won't mind the changes between the first few books and this one. Thanks for a great review!
Well, I hope you like it. Despite the faults I found, I did enjoy the book. I wish we rated out of 5 or 7, you know? More options. Thanks for commenting!

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent » 07 May 2019, 02:43

IamShing wrote:
06 May 2019, 12:50
This was a greag book from The Turn series..I have read it, and it was good. Thanks for the review.
And thank you, for reading my review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”