Review by anneloretrujillo -- Four Funny Potatoes!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
anneloretrujillo
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 35
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 85
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anneloretrujillo.html
Latest Review: I KNOW I AM! Alphabetical Affirmations by Christine Michaelides and Da’shon Reid

Review by anneloretrujillo -- Four Funny Potatoes!

Post by anneloretrujillo » 20 Apr 2019, 13:02

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Funny Potatoes by Len Foley is a children’s book about three potatoes and a banana named Benny. The potatoes insist that Benny is a potato, and they put him in The Funny Potato Show. Benny tries to tell them that he is not a potato, but the director cuts him off. Will the potatoes and the director listen, or will they just continue with their show? You’ll have to read the book to find out.

The pictures are excellent. They are a creative mix of actual photographs with cartoon drawings. I like the way the text is incorporated throughout the pictures instead of being on a separate page. I also like that the text is colorful and has different fonts and sizes. It makes it so that the text is really a part of the pictures. All of this together makes the pages of the book eye-catching and vibrant, which is perfect for young children.

The vocabulary might be challenging for younger children. Words like “pudgy” and “harmony” will probably have to be defined for them. I always like when books have a few challenging words without being too complicated for children to understand. Len Foley did a great job finding that middle ground.

Unfortunately, I did have a couple of issues with this book. The editing is inconsistent from page to page. I understand the use of poetic license, but it really should be consistent throughout the book. This is especially important in a children’s book. These errors didn’t really detract from the story, but they should still be fixed. I know I’m a bit of a stickler when it comes to grammar in children’s books, but the importance of it cannot be stressed enough.

Another issue I had with the book is that some of the content might not really be appropriate for the intended age group. I can’t really say much more without giving away any spoilers. I would just suggest that parents read the entire story before reading it to young children. I also wasn’t a huge fan of the rhyming patterns. The writing doesn’t flow as well as a rhyming book should. I read it out loud and there are places where it is awkward to read because the pattern is vastly different than in other places. I almost feel as if I need to rehearse before actually reading it to a child.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't give it a perfect score due to the inconsistent editing, interruptions of flow, and the inappropriate content. Despite these issues, it is still a fun and engaging book for children. I would recommend it for children ages 6 to 10. The description on Amazon says 3 to 7, but I don’t entirely agree due to the content and difficulty level. For younger children, I would definitely recommend reading it with a parent that has already read the book.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum

Post by Prisallen » 11 May 2019, 14:11

This sounds like a fun book for children to read, although maybe with the parent's help. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”