Review by Alleycat393 -- Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
STOPEMAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alleycat393.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Review by Alleycat393 -- Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by STOPEMAILS »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Third Chances" by Dan Petrosini.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Third Chances by Dan Petrosini tells the story of Detective Frank Luca and his partner Mary Ann Vargas and their race to track down a serial killer in their otherwise quiet part of southwest Florida. This is a short and fast paced novel which is difficult to put down. This would make a good holiday read for an adult with an interest in crime fiction.

Detectives Luca and Vargas make a good team at work but do they also make a good team at home? The two are dating and are unsure about how many people know about them at work and what the repercussions for their working relationship will be. They also need to do their very best to ensure that they catch the person who is killing multiple men in the area, and all of this under the beady eye of their chief, Chester.

Also thrown into the mix are FBI agent Tom Haines and the fact that all investigative avenues seem to point to a popular local church. Detectives Luca and Vargas have to tread a fine line between making use of the FBI’s unlimited resources to solve their case and holding on to their jurisdiction over it. They also have to find a balance between keeping the local church onside and conducting a thorough investigation involving multiple members of the church and its staff. Both these sets of issues are faced by police officers on a regular basis.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading it and particularly about the various relationships in the book. The author has managed to capture a variety of dynamics which in exist in sometimes seemingly ordinary relationships such as marriage. What is missing for me is a bit more character development. We learn the most about Frank Luca because a lot of the book is written from his perspective. I appreciate that this book is part of a series and character development may take place across the series but in order to draw readers into the series I’d suggest that they need to grow an attachment to the characters a bit more through each individual book. The book is well edited though could do with a professional proof read.

Overall, I have enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the genre of crime fiction. I would happily read more from the same series or even unrelated works from the same author.

Third Chances
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Alleycat393's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”