Review by KCWolf -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
KCWolf
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: Unwanted Dead Or ALive
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by KCWolf -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by KCWolf » 17 Apr 2019, 12:36

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While I enjoyed the book Final Notice and the way Author Van Fleisher used this story to address many hard-hitting issues in modern day society I could only rate it 2 out of 4 stars. My main reason for this is that there was so much more telling than showing, and several errors including pronoun confusion. Also, there was a lot of head-hopping within the same scene, which was quite jarring.

To summarize this story, Final Notice is a suspenseful story relating to the hot-topic issue of gun control, as well as how we view our elderly citizens and even immigrants in today's society. It follows a few different storylines; including the aftermath of a shooting at a nursing home, and Vince Fuller—an older gentleman still seething from being bullied at a mall. The NRA is offering a discount on firearms to senior citizens, and Fuller (amongst others) contemplates such a purchase. It will make you question how you feel about these issues, and contemplate them deeper. There is also the alpha and beta testing of a unique product—a smartwatch that warns you when you are about to die, so you can get your affairs in order. More questions arise about the NRA senior citizen discount, as events similar to that at the nursing home unfold—all from the alpha test group for the VT2 and its Final Notice feature. Are people seeing the Final Notice as a way to commit revenge without punishment? Which is more important, human lives or a corporation's bottom line?

Van Fleisher writes in a casual, colloquial voice (and uses "OK" instead of "okay" and "all ‘round" instead of "all around") but it works for this story. He also uses tongue-in-cheek humor and irony with character names to illustrate his points (for example "Wimpy" and "Crued".)

What I liked most was the characters Vince and Trudi Fuller, and how they were like real people that we could relate to. There are a lot of other characters too that represent unique and diverse groups of people, across all ages races and backgrounds. The character Sen. John McAdams and FBI agent Zoe Brouet, as well as an elderly gentleman named Nigel in the UK were also likable, relatable characters. I enjoyed how the many storylines all revolved around the same issues, and how the story made you think (or re-think) about your stance on many issues.

What I disliked the most was that there was so many "info dumps" and head hopping. A few more details to some of these scenes would have really added to the storylines, rather than making some of them seem glossed over. The head hopping (often within the same scene, or during a conversation as in chapter 16) caused some confusion regarding who was speaking, etc. Also, there are times where the author Van Fleisher pulls you out of a scene using phrases like "…The author is compelled to say," and "the author was tempted to say," which I found a little distracting.

Those issues aside, I think that lovers of political thrillers and suspense would enjoy this story; as well as anyone who likes a quick, fast-paced read. I think that senior citizens and people who are interested in the major topics discussed in this book will find it enlightening as well as entertaining. I found it both intriguing and thought-provoking.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like KCWolf's review? Post a comment saying so!
Currently Reading: Final Notice and Death of a Gossip:techie-studyingbrown:
Currently Writing: Sovereign Eyes: Gifted Saga Episode 1 and Redemption Trails

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Burying Leo by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh

Post by Prisallen » 05 May 2019, 08:48

I read this book, as well, and I enjoyed it. I agree with you that, at times, there was too much talking and not enough showing. I enjoyed reading your review!

KCWolf
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: Unwanted Dead Or ALive
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by KCWolf » 13 May 2019, 19:55

Prisallen wrote:
05 May 2019, 08:48
I read this book, as well, and I enjoyed it. I agree with you that, at times, there was too much talking and not enough showing. I enjoyed reading your review!
Thank you so much for the comment. I'm glad you enjoyed my review. :)
Currently Reading: Final Notice and Death of a Gossip:techie-studyingbrown:
Currently Writing: Sovereign Eyes: Gifted Saga Episode 1 and Redemption Trails

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 104
Currently Reading: Blocks
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 15 May 2019, 17:50

I don't think I really want to know the exact time I'm going to die. I definitely agree with the premise that it has a huge potential to change behavior and not always for the better! Thanks for the interesting review!
It's not hoarding if its books!! :techie-studyingbrown:

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by maggi3 » 16 May 2019, 12:17

I also read this book and had a similar reaction. This was one that got a lot of praise, so I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who didn’t love it. I definitely agree that Vince and Trudi were the best characters. Thanks for the review!

Wriley
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading: The Right to Nominate
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Wriley » 18 May 2019, 14:03

The premise of the book sounds interesting. If a smart watch told when we were going to die what would we do if revenge came to mind? The head hoping would be a distraction. Great honest review. I appreciate that.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: The Reckoning
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Post by diana lowery » 18 May 2019, 14:42

"there was so much more telling than showing" - YES! First rule of writing! Right?
I agree with everything you said in your review. The premise of the book is so good: I hope some revisions are made. It would make a good movie.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”