Review by amandathebibliophile -- Happy Healing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
amandathebibliophile
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review by amandathebibliophile -- Happy Healing

Post by amandathebibliophile » 14 Apr 2019, 17:37

[Following is a volunteer review of "Happy Healing" by Dominique Bourlet.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Happy Healing, by Dominique Bourlet, is a tutorial self-help book for anyone who has experienced chronic pain. I add the word “chronic” because this method wouldn’t be the first thing to try if one has a broken limb or similar injury. Rather, the “Happy Healing” method is a self-healing strategy in which the person in pain engages in a conversation with his or her body, and as such, is more appropriate for those who suffer from chronic pain and would like to try an alternative strategy to strong painkillers, surgery, etc.

The author is a licensed healing practitioner in Germany who gained much of his wisdom in Asia. He acquired his knowledge from traditional Chinese methods such as acupressure and various other spiritual/energetic healing techniques. During the time he spent in Asia, he developed this healing protocol he calls “Happy Healing,” a technique for self-healing.

The book opens up with a quiz that helps to get the reader prepared for the material therein. It also offers a nice section on how to read the book for “specific healing goals.” For example, if the reader has an acute pain that he or she wants to heal quickly, the author guides you to the specific page to help with that. Or, if one is simply interested in “reducing a small discomfort,” there’s a page to turn to for that as well.

Following the introduction, the book is divided into three parts. The first is about how the “Happy Healing” method was created. The second part is focused on describing the method, and the third is how to apply the method. The author also includes an appendix with useful consultation and reporting forms.

The author spends a lot of time describing the eight-step process for “Happy Healing,” and why he claims it works so well. I thought it was pretty fascinating that the author had been a horse whisperer prior to this work, and that the origins for many of his ideas within the protocol stemmed from working with horses! The idea being that whispering to the horses helped to heal the horse, so why couldn’t whispering to the body help to heal the body?

All in all, I LOVE the concepts behind “Happy Healing.” For a variety of personal reasons, a holistic or whole-body approach to medicine has resonated with me for years. I have generally found that the body is really smart: if we listen to what it tells us, we can maximize our health in so many ways!

The book is really short and can be “read” quickly, but if one were to spend the quality time needed to learn and apply the methods, far more time could easily be spent. That being said, I had a tough time with the style of writing itself. I was left feeling like I just wanted to meet the author and learn the methods from him in person, or perhaps to take a class and learn everything from a hands-on perspective. While the author’s voice is one I would probably love in person, there was something about it in the written form that made it harder for me to follow. It is a bit tricky to describe, but something was “off” for me. I think it was possibly a combination of the formatting (it felt like a textbook with its many headings and complex paragraph breaks) with the colloquial tone of voice (calling pain “Lady Pain,” referring to the cosmos with a capital C in a gushing tone, and many other similar examples).

Summarily, I say this: I REALLY wanted to love this book. I love the concept of holistic healing generally, and I think I love the idea behind “Happy Healing” specifically. But because I had such a hard time following along with the author’s writing style, I just didn’t love the book itself. So, even though I found only a few grammatical errors, I feel I must give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think readers with chronic pain could very well benefit from this method, and I think it’s important they have access to self-help books such as these! Perhaps my experience with the writing style was unusual and others would find it far easier to get through. I say, please judge for yourself and enjoy!

Happy Healing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like amandathebibliophile's review? Post a comment saying so!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Burying Leo by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh

Post by Prisallen » 27 Apr 2019, 14:17

I believe there is merit to some nontraditional healing techniques, but I'm not sure about this book. I may have to check it out for myself, since I do have some pain issues. Thank you for a very nice review!

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by maggi3 » 27 May 2019, 17:24

I think this book has the potential to help a lot of people. I like that there is a quiz to guide you to the right section, so readers can easily find the parts that pertain to them. This one isn’t for me, but thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”