Review by Bukari -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Bukari
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by Bukari -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari » 13 Apr 2019, 12:42

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

RJ Petrella is the author of Days of the Giants, and the book is in the genre of C/T/M/H. Petrella’s work has many political events going on in a city called Boston. The events happen in two main hospitals that are the Boston City Hospital and the Academy Hospital. The Boston City Hospital is a public hospital while the Academy Hospital is a private hospital. The two hospitals compete for clients in the delivery of quality health care and resources for the development of new projects. Slater Barnes is a young man interested in working at Boston City Hospital (BCH.) He likes the way the doctors and nurses treat their clients irrespective of their economic or social backgrounds.

Slater Barnes has a medical condition he is suffering with after graduating from a medical school. He does his internship at Boston City Hospital. The mayor of Boston proposes a plan of rebuilding some parts of Boston City Hospital, but the heads of the two hospitals and other municipal officials have a plan to enrich themselves through the project. Slater Barnes and his colleague interns will have to follow the right procedures in preventing the public hospital (BCH) from collapsing.

The themes of bribery and corruption were intriguing for me to follow nonstop because our society is full of evil acts. And the narrative could help disseminate the bad deeds that affect us so that people can learn lessons and desist from the acts of bribery and corruption. The way the interns tackled the issue of fraud by the officials in the city was also exceptional for me; they used the right methods for achieving their aim.

Also, the doctors in Boston City Hospital were diligent in managing critically ill patients or patients who were in life-threatening conditions. The atmosphere where Barnes was doing his internship was always interesting for me to follow, as I am familiar with the settings of health facilities.

Petrella’s work was a little bit difficult for me to follow because of the way he kept on mixing the sentences with present and past tenses. Had the author used one style, either the present tense or the past tense throughout the narrative, it would have been entertaining to follow.

What I liked most about the book was the way Barnes (a young doctor) with less experience and knowledge dared to stand for the right thing. He did not let his fears to prevent him from doing what he thought was righteous.

I, therefore, rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. Giving the work three stars would be unjust, as it was less interesting for me in following Petrella’s work. The book was not professionally edited because I found more than ten grammatical errors in it. The mistakes made the narrative tedious to follow. People who love science and political themes would enjoy Petrella’s work. People who find medicine and politics less thrilling should not grab a copy, as the content is full of politics in Boston City Hospital and Academy Hospital.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bukari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain

Post by kdstrack » 28 Apr 2019, 14:00

Your unique perspective on this book was interesting. Other readers can enjoy it as a medical/political story, but your work experience gives you a different frame of reference for the author's writing. Thanks for your comments on this book.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Burying Leo by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh

Post by Prisallen » 10 May 2019, 14:56

I have also worked in the medical field and find the book intriguing. I love it when someone stands up for what is right, even though it might cause their downfall. Thank you for a wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”