Review by kdstrack -- The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin" by M.E. Hembroff.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M. E. Hembroff is a children’s book set in Canada in the 1950s. The book contains 178 pages and is the sequel to Bess’s Magical Garden.

Bess and her mother had recently moved to Pineview where they shared their home with Gramma. The death of her father and a bout with polio were two events that shaped Bess’s past. Her cousin, Megan, lives nearby, and they enjoy spending time together. Both girls want to resolve the mystery of the cabin.

Megan’s father discovered the cabin while remodeling their home. He gave Bess the suitcases and the trunk he found in the room behind the stairs. Using the clues from these materials, Bess started her investigation of the family who had lived in this cabin. She had uncovered two main clues: a paper with the name Abigail Morgan written on it and some embroidered napkins with the initials J.D. Suddenly, nightmares began to terrify her, and she saw visions of the people who had lived in the cabin. Follow Bess as she endeavors to untangle the enigma of the mysterious cabin.

The book presents a fluid writing style with comfortable dialogues and vivid descriptions. Young readers will relate to the school activities included in the story, such as homework, exams, games at recess, and school parties. Bess’s diary entries are a positive example for children this age. Encouraging the writing of feelings and thoughtful reflection on the day’s activities engages children in an exercise that strengthens emotional and intellectual development.

Bess also presents an exemplary model of how to solve a mystery. She examined the evidence looking for clues, asked for help from others, and used the information she had gathered to expand her search. This type of modeling can help children develop mental habits that will be useful in science, math, and all areas that require reasoning and logic.

I would have enjoyed more simple sketches accompanying the story. The targeted audience for this book is still at an age where visuals increase interest in the story. Another improvement would be to present Bess’s diary entries in a more pronounced manner. I found it difficult to determine where her writing had ended, and the story’s narration had resumed. Putting these entries in italics or indenting and justifying the entire entry would help the reader to identify these sections with greater ease.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The writing style, plot, and activities described are enjoyable and age appropriate. There were more than ten grammar errors, forcing me to take off a point for misspelled words and missing apostrophes. This story would appeal to children aged nine to twelve as they could relate to the main character. Some readers might dislike the inclusion of the paranormal sections that relate Bess’s visions which provoke her nightmares.

The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It is truly remarkable to see a book that encourages children to write about their feelings and engage in thoughtful reflection on the day’s activities. This is a lesson many children do not get as they grow up.

Great review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

As someone who loved reading the "Nancy Drew" series, I find this series to sound equally intriguing. Your review makes me want to read this one as well as Bess's Magical Garden. Great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a very engaging mystery for older kids. Great review!
Bienn
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bienn.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Bienn »

This book sounds great and full of fun. I will read rhis book for I am interested life in the 1950s.
Remember :hand: to take a bath :liar: first before reading anything! :no-spoil: :? :lol:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Keeping a handwritten diary is something kids may find difficult, what with all the gadgets available. But there is something magical about handwritten pages. They are more personal and indicative of the writer's mood at the time of writing. I hope writing will not become an obsolete art.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Looks like a wonderful children's book! I think kids will enjoy reading the diary entries.
Great review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a wonderful book. I would like to read it. It sounds really great as Bess tries to investigate the mystery of the cabin. I wonder what was causing the nightmares. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

The pot seems intriguing and a story that was set in 1950's also piqued my interest. Great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Thanks for the great review! I like how well you've summarized the book without giving spoilers. The book has piqued my interest. Have a great day!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

The nightmares sound disturbing, but a mystery to solve would definitely appeal to children in the target age group. Many thanks for an interesting review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a nice age-appropriate mystery. I really like how you highlighted that it models good problem-solving behavior. That's a great example for young kids who have a lifetime of "mysteries" ahead of them. Great review!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Children of that age love to read about adventures and mysteries. Therefore I'm sure the intended audience will love this book. Like you said, it's important to guide children to express their feelings and teaching them to solve problems. So, books like these, teach them both. I don't like that it contains errors, since this is a children's book and they are impressionable. But, other than that, sounds like it'll be an exciting read.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 670
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The book seem to be educational especially to children. And an enjoyable plot will definitely appeal to children. Sorry about the numerous grammatical errors. I hope the author will correct the errors in future. I appreciate your thoughtful and critical review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Kids these days may not find keeping diaries fun. This is the era of phones and tablets. However, this is a beautiful masterpiece from the author, and you've done justice in reviewing this. I'll definitely check this out.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”