Review by jenjayfromSA -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
jenjayfromSA
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 24
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jenjayfromSA -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by jenjayfromSA » 09 Apr 2019, 09:22

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A container ship on fire in the Gulf of Alaska in midwinter; a tug rushing to the rescue; lifeboats tossing helplessly in stormy seas; survivors cast up on an inhospitable coast: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is jam-packed with action and suspense.

Sheldon writes with immediacy and authority. A professional seaman, he knows his subject and his setting. I love novels that introduce me to different lifestyles in a part of the world I know nothing about.

I first discovered the Olympic National Park and its environs in the author’s first book, Strong-Heart, which was part mystical, part adventure, telling a dual story about present-day legal and mining battles and a sweeping saga of a sea voyage thousands of years ago.

The story continues. William, one of the original group of friends, tells it to the castaways on a remote island in the Queen Charlottes. The others, Tom, Sarah, Myra and Sergei, are inspired by the grit and determination of those long-gone seafarers as they face their own trials.

I am familiar with the story, so the mystical references to the voyage and the totem bear made sense to me. I am not sure how much a new reader would understand from the rather sparse details given.

The perspective shifts constantly from character to character, bewilderingly so at times. We share with Louise on the tug, Travis on the burnt-out container ship, Steve and William in the lifeboats and Myra anxiously waiting for news on shore.

She is also involved in the on-going legal controversy between those wishing to mine the park and the tribal authorities trying to preserve their past and traditions.

In all, this is a tense, exciting thriller packed with gritty, authentic detail, and set in a remote and beautiful part of the world. The characters are sympathetic and believable, ranging from the original band to Louise struggling to keep her tug afloat; Pete fighting to keep his job and his son; Anne facing the wilderness alone; and Steve, the captain who lost his ship and his livelihood.

Although the language is a little clumsy at times, there are no typos or grammar mistakes to mar the tale. There is also scope for a sequel as there are several questions that need to be answered. I, for one, would be glad of it.

Adrift will appeal to anyone who enjoys realistic sea stories and tales of courage in the face of disaster. I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jenjayfromSA's review? Post a comment saying so!

BuzzingQuill
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by BuzzingQuill » 01 Jun 2019, 07:23

Great review! I really enjoyed the book as well, and as for the dialogue feeling clunky, I must agree actually. I couldn't place exactly why I felt this way, but you've shed a bit of light on that for me. Also, regarding the dialogue, the one thing he tends to do often is always include character names in dialogue to a slightly extreme end.

Artizi
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Artizi » 01 Jun 2019, 09:00

Great review! Insightful and very complete, kudos! Realistic sea stories are usually my cup of tea when they're well-written, so I might give it a try!

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate you checking my latest review as well! :) Thank you in advance.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”