Review by clancy8 -- A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
clancy8
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy8.html
Latest Review: A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Review by clancy8 -- A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Post by clancy8 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Loaf Of Bread" by Rana Bitar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A poetry book by Rana Bitar is a collection of dirge poems detailing how the author, Rana, lost her homeland, during the civil war that took place in Syria. She lost her family and her neighborhood. During the war Rana's house was bombed in the process, and she was left all alone, so she decided to find a way; and she joined the struggle for survival, hope and protection; so as other thousands of her kind, they all boarded rubber boats, and floated to the unknown, some got drowned in the process.

Her tragic experience led her to write this book A loaf of bread which she used to share every picture, every moment and every grasped memory from her hometown, in Syria. Rana got her master's degree in english and creative writing from southern new hampshire university in January 2017. She is a physician professionally and she is currently working on a collection of creative non - fiction stories about her journey as an oncologist. I love Rana's ability to convey her tragic experience into a fine piece of art writings.

From the settings of the poems, it's so obvious the author's experience was an unforgettable one. The book consists of 10 poems, detailing the author's tragic experiences in those times, using metaphors and innuendo to express them effectively. The poems keeps the readers, on a verge of crying. The poems were so complex, at a point it sounded more like a lullabe, when read loud and got to point it sounded more like, a sad and mournful poem. Each poem in Rana's collection is engaging and one would have to read them patiently to truly understand the meaning. The first poem "Where i am from" had a lot to say about her hometown, the first five lines of the poem reads "I am from cobblestones and seven gates"

"I am from cinder and grapes"
"I am from hushed steps to school and the Jasmines, white and cool"
"I am from the salt of the Mediterranean and the stones of Palmyra"
"I am from the first etched letter and the last cry of a war"

Her home was best described with those lines of her poem "where i am from"
Rana deserves an accolade on her versatility and her perspective regarding her devastating experience.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars the book has no typo nor errors in it's contents, the book is emotionally provoking. I recommend this book to readers who loves poetry, that are based on a true life story.

A Loaf Of Bread
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like clancy8's review? Post a comment saying so!
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Nice review..I have read this book and I liked it too.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

This seems like a powerful book. Great review!
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

Rana seems to have gone through a lot of bad things. Writing is a way to let out the pain an can be a very helpful channel to. I'm really glad she wrote these beautiful poems. I'd like to read them.
clancy8

Post by clancy8 »

IamShing wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 04:39 Nice review..I have read this book and I liked it too.
Glad you liked it.
Thanks for dropping by to comment.
clancy8

Post by clancy8 »

Delaney35 wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 08:59 This seems like a powerful book. Great review!
Yeah, it is a powerful book. Rana expressed her self brilliantly, with this book. And she showed how much she loved and missed her neighbourhood, and it was just so heart warming and sentimental as well.
Thanks for dropping by and commenting
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I loved reading the poem that you quoted- hauntingly beautiful! She certainly does evoke emotions. Thank you for an excellent review! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”