Review by Delaney35 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Delaney35
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: Light Speed
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Delaney35 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Delaney35 » 31 Mar 2019, 14:56

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story of Hiram McDowell, a man who uses those around him to better himself, is an interesting one. McDowell is not a likable character. He is rude, sexist, and blunt. This makes liking his character really hard at first. McDowell by William H. Coles is the story of this character. He’s a surgeon who is trying to be appointed a place in the President’s cabinet. Everything is going well for him. He has status, money, and a good job. However, his personal life is a mess, but he doesn’t care. His focus is on himself. He doesn’t care what happens to anyone else. Then tragedy strikes, and his whole world is turned upside down. He loses everything that ever matter to him and he must find a new meaning for his life.

This book is character driven. There is a plot, but the most interesting part is McDowell's transformation. After reading the first few chapters, I hated his character. He treated everyone around him like inferior beings. He treated the women especially badly, and I don’t think he viewed them as human. As the book progressed though, he changed. His relationship with his daughter, Sophie, helped to humanize him. The multiple narrative perspectives also gave a well-rounded view of his character. Additionally, after the tragedy, his world view changed and so did his treatment of others. This growth made the book feel like a coming-of-age novel, despite McDowell being a full-grown adult. This was my favorite part of the novel.

The only issue I had with this book was some of the phrasing. It was awkward at times. For example, at the beginning of chapter 4, it says “glorious she was at thirty-eight”. The syntax here is just odd. It’s not technically wrong. It’s just awkward. However, for the most part, the wording is spot on. The imagery is vivid and detailed without being overwhelming. There are just a few sentences that don’t flow well.

I did notice a few grammatical mistakes. However, they were not distracting at all. There were not enough to warrant taking a star from the rating either. This book is truly an amazing read. I am happy to rate this one 4 out of 4 stars.

If you enjoy a character-based book, you will really enjoy this one. I would recommend this one to older teenagers and up. There are a lot of heavy topics mentioned that might not sit well with younger audiences. There is nothing explicit, but some of the themes are mature. After getting into it, I found myself not wanting to put it down. It was eye-opening and really made me think. If at all possible, I encourage you to read this book.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Delaney35's review? Post a comment saying so!

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Number Ten by Robin Hawdon

Post by Cotwani » 04 Apr 2019, 09:03

You have captured the essence of the book well. I must say I initially found McDowell's transformation too little too late. And when I just started warming up to him, the book ended. But, I guess the book is as unpleasant and unpredictable as some aspects of real life are. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 » 04 Apr 2019, 09:04

Cotwani wrote: ↑
04 Apr 2019, 09:03
You have captured the essence of the book well. I must say I initially found McDowell's transformation too little too late. And when I just started warming up to him, the book ended. But, I guess the book is as unpleasant and unpredictable as some aspects of real life are. Great review!
Thanks for commenting!

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Mother Love, Willow Lane, Book Two by Ann McCauley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 04 Apr 2019, 09:34

Generally I steer clear of books with unlikable main characters, but your review has encouraged me to give this one a try. Any book that is capable of making you feel strongly about the characters, whether positively or negatively, is doing its job. It sounds like he is redeemed towards the end as well.

Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 » 04 Apr 2019, 10:30

unamilagra wrote: ↑
04 Apr 2019, 09:34
Generally I steer clear of books with unlikable main characters, but your review has encouraged me to give this one a try. Any book that is capable of making you feel strongly about the characters, whether positively or negatively, is doing its job. It sounds like he is redeemed towards the end as well.
If you do read it I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for commenting.

Renu G
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Journey to a Safe Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: the Savage Surrogate by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Renu G » 04 Apr 2019, 23:51

McDowell seems to have a narcissistic personality. You have made good observations. Great review!

Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 » 05 Apr 2019, 05:08

Renu G wrote: ↑
04 Apr 2019, 23:51
McDowell seems to have a narcissistic personality. You have made good observations. Great review!
Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”