Review by Jmteachmom -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by Jmteachmom -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Jmteachmom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight is a self-help book for the spiritual life of a person.

Haight begins his story with an autobiographical look at his childhood. While his childhood is typical, he shares one such experience where he meets Jesus. He has a dream and states that Jesus shares his specific instructions to for the author’s life. That is to “Find my bones, for they are the core of my teaching.” Jesus wanted him, our author, to find the true meaning and essence of His teachings and share them with the world.

After this remarkable experience, Haight begins his lifelong quest to fulfill this command. He begins by reading the Bible and finding a lack of understanding and fulfillment. At the age of 12, he discovers a love for karate and will travel to Japan to further study this martial art. While in Japan, he will learn an entire new form of martial art and develop a deep relationship with a mentor.

After being in Japan for some time, Haight travels to the Amazon. He spends time living with a local tribe and practicing their spiritual rituals. On one such occasion, he partakes of a substance that will help him to see spiritual truths. After a time of vomiting and feeling sick, he says he does get new instructions.

Finding thoughts to like about this book was hard. I appreciate that the author wanted to share his story. You do get a sense that his only motive was to make the world a better place and teach others what he has learned. That is what the world of literature is for, right? He takes the time to explain how the reader can practice these spiritual disciplines at home. Examples included are how to eat, meditate, and exercise.

The humor used in his writing and the way he explains his experiences are refreshing. His heart and soul are laid upon each page.

I strongly felt amazed and lost while reading this work. My personal beliefs made this a far-fetched story to me. While I did not understand all of this, there are readers who will. This book will shake things up in the world! I give 3 out 4 stars to The Unbound Soul. The editing was on point and I felt there was a strong sense of vulnerability in the author’s choice to share his experiences. Readers who are interested in self-help and learning other spiritual practices will see this as a must read.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jmteachmom's review? Post a comment saying so!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I strongly felt amazed and lost while reading this work. My personal beliefs made this a far-fetched story to me. While I did not understand all of this, there are readers who will. This book will shake things up in the world! I give 3 out 4 stars to The Unbound Soul.

I agree: amazed and lost are two words I would also use to describe my experience with this book. While I enjoyed the autobiographical part very much, the spiritual teachings can get too abstract, it takes time to process them, and although I learned some valuable things, I think they're and are not for everyone.
Thank you for your review!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

It's always nice to find a read with a refreshing sense of humor thrown in, but I do understand the drawbacks that often accompany an autobiographical plot or tale that seems a bit far-fetched overall. Amazingly lost is not (ideally) where we wish to find ourselves in the end, haha. Thanks for your honest review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”