Review by sush_destiny -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
sush_destiny
2019 Reading Goal: 400
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by sush_destiny -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by sush_destiny » 26 Mar 2019, 22:40

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Funny Potatoes is a young children’s picture book by Len Foley.

The story told in the form of a song, is about four potatoes: Jimmie, Arnie, Marvin, and Benny. Bennie keeps insisting that he is a banana and not a potato. The potatoes sing the potato song with Bennie interrupting and insisting that he is a banana. But then, a kid eats Benny, and he is shown as an angel in the clouds still insisting about a banana.

This story has eye-catching pictures of the potatoes, watermelon, sandwich, and eggs with expressions drawn on them, which made very engaging and whimsical characters. The four potatoes sleeping in the bowl and then linking their arms together to sing the potato song was very cute. Also, the repetitive and catchy nature of the song makes it a perfect sing-along for young children. The author ensures that the characters in his story teach young kids important lessons while being funny. The way Benny insisting that he is a banana when others tell him that he is a potato is a good lesson in self-confidence and self-identity. The author has a knack for making jokes, like when the donut said that he couldn’t run because he doesn’t have any feet, then the tomato suggested that he roll instead.

The only criticism I have is the concept of Bennie’s death. I am not sure the intense concepts of death, written in a however lighthearted way, would be appropriate in a children’s story. Also, the term “egg heads” is usually used in a derogatory way and although the author has taken the meaning to mean heads of eggs, I wouldn’t recommend its usage in a children's’ book.

Overall, I give this story a rating of 4 out of 4 stars for an exceptionally memorable story. I would highly recommend it to children of ages three to seven.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sush_destiny's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”