Review by klbradley -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
klbradley
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Dirty Girl
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: A quiet place to grow by Lysa Rochelle
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by klbradley -- The Reel Sisters

Post by klbradley » 21 Mar 2019, 19:19

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As far as friendships go, those who can say they have a genuine friend that they can rely on are considered lucky. Those who are able to say they have a group of these friends are exceptionally blessed. When these connections are soul-binding to the degree that Michelle Cundiff expresses in her novel, The Reel Sisters, they last long after the reader turns the last page.

Published in late 2017, The Reel Sisters offers an insight into the extraordinary bond between five women while also elaborating on the world of fly fishing. Rose is the eldest of the five women and has given each of the other women lessons in the fly fishing technique over the years. Amanda is a teacher and mother to two young children, trying to stay sane while her husband tours in the military. Veronica owns a greenhouse and lives a satisfying life with her husband. The newest of the group is Melody, a young Suicide Girl with a passion for photography and tattoos.

While the story does detail the techniques and intricate inside tricks that are involved with fly fishing, the depth of the story comes with the character development and importance of relationships. The chapters of the story rotate between characters while offering their parts of the story in the first person. With a clear indicator of who is telling their story each time, the novel remains clear and concise for readers.

The five women are brought together with a love for fly fishing, but their relationships go so much farther than just their hobby. They all experience love, pain, triumph and tribulations, which goes even farther to bring them closer together. Before reading The Reel Sisters, I had heard of fly fishing, of course, but can now say that I'm actually interested in giving it a try myself.

It's obvious while reading that the author's intention with the character development was to allow readers ample time to get to know each of them before delving into the plot, which ultimately pulls our heartstrings harder once we feel as if we know them. I've always been a reader who enjoys a bit of a plot twist in my reading, and as surprised as I was, the author fairly contributed a plot twist that is sure to stick in my mind for a long time.

I was pleased with the editing of the novel, as I found no errors while reading. The themes of the novel were ever-changing, rotating from uplifting to somber, but never straying away from the true theme, which is friendship. I really enjoyed how realistic the story felt and definitely appreciated the sense of humor that the author provided the characters with. I am pleased to rate The Reel Sisters a full 4 out of 4 stars and would gladly recommend to readers who are looking for an emotional read that will make them appreciate all those who are important in their lives. I found myself thinking about my own personal friendships and relationships during and even after finishing the story and am sure to appreciate those close to me even more.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”