Review by Manali_DC -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Review by Manali_DC -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Manali_DC »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater follows the lives and adventures of two Australian soldiers, Jack O' Brien and Jamie Munro, during World War II. Jack O' Brien or Jacko, is an educated half-caste Warramunga aboriginal who rescues a wounded Jamie during the Syrian campaign against the Vichy French, and the two become fast friends. When a recuperating Jamie is recruited by MI6 and ordered to go to Egypt, he requests for Jacko to also be transferred with him.

In Egypt, Jamie and Jacko enter the world of espionage. Together with their team of other MI6 officers and interesting recruits in the form of young waitresses and belly dancers, they spend an eventful time in Cairo tracing and arresting German spies. However, when one of their agents, the beautiful, young Farida is found murdered, Jamie and Jacko find themselves in the middle of a hunt for a serial killer and they promise to do all they can to help the local police with their investigation. For Jacko, Egypt is not all about war and danger! The beautiful Monique captures his heart and he finds himself drawing closer to Monique and her family with each passing day. When the war in Egypt draws to a close, Jamie and Jacko are sent to Australia to help with the newly formed Commonwealth Intelligence Service. They soon find themselves on a chase across the outbacks of Western Australia tracking a couple of German spies. The first in the trilogy, this story ends with Jacko introducing Jamie to his Warramunga family.

Set across exotic locations from Syria to Egypt to the Australian outback, this book manages to capture the distinct scenery and flavor of each of these locations. I especially liked how the writer manages to bring out the hustle-bustle of the city of Cairo in contrast to the wide, arid barrenness of Australia. The variety of characters in the book add to the richness of the story. With each passing adventure, Jamie and Jacko's friendship grows stronger. With their unique brands of humor and a strong sense of duty, they are immensely likable principal characters. The women, young and beautiful and brave and willing to risk it all to do their bit for the war, bring about a fascinating and glamorous aspect to the tale. The author also pays a lot of attention to the variation in the languages of the different characters across the different continents.

Although this book is supposed to be a World War story, it actually has a variety of themes. Except for the beginning which sees some battlefield action in Syria, the war is usually a distant theme in the rest of the story. Cairo is all about the intrigue and thrill of espionage. However, Jamie and Jacko make the task of catching spies look almost too easy. They also do not seem to be too worried about staying under-cover or keeping a low profile, preferring to meet their contacts at the same cafe every time. Australia sees them in a new avatar altogether. Here they are like policemen looking to track and arrest a group of troublemakers. As I was expecting to read a wartime story, the changing themes of the tale were what I liked least about the book.

The book is well edited and I could hardly find any typing errors or grammatical mistakes. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to readers who would enjoy a good tale of friendship and camaraderie set in the backdrop of World War II.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Manali_DC's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Great review! I also did a review on that book, check it out if you want. I liked reading yours, because it lets me see another perspective on the same story. For example, I liked how you juxtaposed the hustle of Cairo to the quiet vastness of Australia. I also loved your phrasing in the last sentence: "a good tale of friendship and camaraderie set in the backdrop of World War II."
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Thank you!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wonderful and enthrallling review here. Thanks a lot for writing it and including some insights on the book as well, especially on the themes. I also read the book and I really enjoyed reading it. What appealed to me most was the kind of relationship Jacko and Monique were involved in.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your unique perspective of the settings and the characters is compelling. I hadn't thought about their activities in Australia as being more police work than spying. Your descriptive writing makes this review very enjoyable reading. Thanks.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Kibetious wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 14:53 Wonderful and enthrallling review here. Thanks a lot for writing it and including some insights on the book as well, especially on the themes. I also read the book and I really enjoyed reading it. What appealed to me most was the kind of relationship Jacko and Monique were involved in.
Thank you! I really liked Jacko and Monique's story too! In fact, one of the reasons I might read the next book in the trilogy is because I want to see how Jacko and Monique's relationship progresses.
Bienn
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bienn.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Bienn »

The variety of themes amazed me, too like parties amidst raging war. Nice review.
Remember :hand: to take a bath :liar: first before reading anything! :no-spoil: :? :lol:
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Good job on your review. I like your perspective; it's rather unique, and pays attention to details many reviews don't. I'll look forward to your next one.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Bienn wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 23:54 The variety of themes amazed me, too like parties amidst raging war. Nice review.
Thank you! Yes there is a lot going on in this story!🙂
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 09:50 Good job on your review. I like your perspective; it's rather unique, and pays attention to details many reviews don't. I'll look forward to your next one.
Thank you very much for your kind words!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

In spite of the changing themes, this book still sounds like an intriguing read- particularly for armchair travelers who enjoy reading about the scenery in different countries and continents. Thank you for a very engaging review. :)
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Thank you! The author does a very good job of capturing the different scenery and languages of the places he writes about! And the characters are very likeable too! Hope you enjoy reading the book!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book sounds eventful and entertaining. It seems to be more the adventures of the 2 friends than war - exciting adventures across different states.

Thanks for the well-rounded review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Cotwani wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 06:06 The book sounds eventful and entertaining. It seems to be more the adventures of the 2 friends than war - exciting adventures across different states.

Thanks for the well-rounded review!
Thank you! And yes exactly! While Jamie and Jacko's adventures were very entertaining, the war was a rather distant backdrop to the whole story!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I am reading this book now and I was taken from the first few pages by the relationship with Jacko and Jamie. I can't wait to get back to it! Thank you for a comprehensive review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”