Review by T_stone -- The Lost Identity Casualties

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by T_stone -- The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by T_stone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lost Identity Casualties is a crime fiction written by Kim Ekemar. It is the first book in the Callaghan Septology. It contains 231 pages and was published by Bradley & Brougham Publishing House in 2018. This book is divided into two parts. The first part talked about Matthias Callaghan's history: his grandfather, Matthias Callaghan I, his father, Matthias Callaghan II, and how he found himself in his present predicament. The second part of this book was purely about Callaghan's revenge scheme against his enemies.

Matthias Callaghan III woke up in a Swiss hospital with no idea of who he was, what happened to him and how he got to the hospital. His face was fully swathed in bandages. Trying to raise his hands, he realized they were strapped to the bed. In his confused state, he pleaded with the doctors and nurses to let him know what had happened to him but his efforts proved to be futile. A beautiful woman, Julia, presented herself to him as his wife. He didn't know if he could believe her, but he liked how beautiful she was and how she kept him company, taking care of him. After a while, Matthias began remembering his past until he regained his lost memories. Matthias, heartbroken, set out to get his revenge.

The plot of this book was well-paced from scene to scene. It was very suspenseful with well-developed ideas. The subplots were all tied together to give a realistic and satisfying ending. This book touched on many themes that included terrorism, drug trafficking, illegal immigration, human trafficking, corruption, impunity, money laundering and many other tragic events that happen in the world today. These themes are powerful and memorable.

The dialogues in the book were interesting, realistic, and tense. I like how I could feel the tension gather up in me when Callaghan decided to go after his enemies. The characters were intriguing and well-developed. Although this book has many characters, it wasn't difficult to follow the progress of the story. Each character had a particular role to play, making the characterization altogether superb. This was one of the major strengths of this book.

There were many true historical events mentioned in the narrative: the Iron Curtain countries, Internet frauds, the fate of the London Bridge, the criminal Kray twins, and the ever-changing landscape of the competing Mexican cartels and their capos. All these events showed that this book was thoroughly researched.

Instead of chapter titles, the author used specific dates to narrate the story of each character and the role they played in the life of the protagonist. The events were in chronological order. There's an overview of characters with their background information at the end of the book. This was done to ease the referencing of each character in case of any confusion.

I didn't like the double spacing after each paragraph. It made the book look awkward but I got used to it eventually. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors. The spacing issue is not enough to deduct a star from my rating. Therefore, I give The Lost Identity Casualties a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I would recommend this book to readers who like crime thrillers, stories of vendetta and unpredictable plot twists. I won't recommend it to readers who don't like gory scenes, stories that involve prostitution, human trafficking, and murders.

The Lost Identity Casualties
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like T_stone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a fast paced book that tackles some important and intense themes. I like the way the author obviously did some research on the historical events she was writing about. Thanks for a great review!
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

There seems to be a lot of heavy topics in this book. It definitely sounds interesting! Excellent review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

unamilagra wrote: โ†‘21 Mar 2019, 08:58 This sounds like a fast paced book that tackles some important and intense themes. I like the way the author obviously did some research on the historical events she was writing about. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Delaney35 wrote: โ†‘21 Mar 2019, 09:19 There seems to be a lot of heavy topics in this book. It definitely sounds interesting! Excellent review.
Thanks for commenting.

Rob White
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book covers multiple themes with a fast-paced plot. The mystery prevails throughout the story. Thanks for this great review!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. You really sold the book to me, and I am not a huge fan of crime fiction as I prefer science/ fantasy fiction instead. The double spacing does sound like it would be awkward. Thanks for sharing.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Sarah Tariq wrote: โ†‘22 Mar 2019, 02:13 The book covers multiple themes with a fast-paced plot. The mystery prevails throughout the story. Thanks for this great review!
Thanks for commenting.

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Jaime Lync wrote: โ†‘22 Mar 2019, 18:47 Great review. You really sold the book to me, and I am not a huge fan of crime fiction as I prefer science/ fantasy fiction instead. The double spacing does sound like it would be awkward. Thanks for sharing.
It was indeed awkward but I got used it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Rob White
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It seems the 2nd part of the book is more exciting. Sounds like an exciting read. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the piratesโ€™ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The well-done dialogue and character development sound impressive. I also like the character overviews at the end of the book. This sounds like a great beginning to the series. Thanks for the recommendations.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I appreciate the fact that the author was able to include true and accurate historical facts in the book. At times, such information is normally thrown here and there without much thought and may be misleading. Thanks for the review.
โ€œIt just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when thereโ€™s no guarantee of its availability.โ€
- Dr. Larry Crabb
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Cotwani wrote: โ†‘24 Mar 2019, 07:27 It seems the 2nd part of the book is more exciting. Sounds like an exciting read. Great review!
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

kdstrack wrote: โ†‘18 Apr 2019, 16:40 The well-done dialogue and character development sound impressive. I also like the character overviews at the end of the book. This sounds like a great beginning to the series. Thanks for the recommendations.
Thanks for your comment.

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Kibetious wrote: โ†‘20 Apr 2019, 08:48 I appreciate the fact that the author was able to include true and accurate historical facts in the book. At times, such information is normally thrown here and there without much thought and may be misleading. Thanks for the review.
He really did well gathering information for this book. Thanks for dropping by.

Rob White

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€