Review by daydreaming reader -- Happy Healing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Review by daydreaming reader -- Happy Healing

Post by daydreaming reader » 09 Mar 2019, 14:08

[Following is a volunteer review of "Happy Healing" by Dominique Bourlet.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Happy Healing: 8 Magical Steps to Relive Physical Pain and Discomfort is written by Dominque Bourlet, who also published the book in 2016. It consists of 182 pages, making it a quick read.

The book focuses on relieving pain by altering the emotional reaction to the pain. The author, Dominque Bourlet, has worked on the 'Happy Healing' emotional method for several years. The intent was to use this method to complement other alternative approaches.

This book caught my attention because of the use of natural healing techniques. I have benefited from several natural healing techniques in the past, and I am willing to learn more. Furthermore, there are elements in this book that I understood through the perspective of self-love. Much of the information presented in the book appears to stem from the development and practice of self-love, even during the difficult times of pain, as opposed to the more common reaction of frustration and anger.

Despite this, the style of writing did not appeal to me as I found the presentation of the information was not convincing. The author wrote the book in a conversational, journal-like style. It is similar to reading the notes of someone who observed something of interest. In the section entitled ‘Notes’, the author lists less than ten documents, and I am under the assumption that there are the references. While I do applaud this, it was not very convincing to me. I simply felt as though I was reading observations, as opposed to vigorously researched information presented in a way to generate interest or persuade the reader.

The author threw me off track when he mentioned naming the body in pain. However, in further processing this, I could understand how this suggestion is helpful from a psychological perspective. I do not think the book clearly explained the need for this. Therefore, from a reader’s perspective, this is a turn off. If I were not open to learning about alternative therapy, I would have greatly discounted the information presented. The book stated that the 'Happy Healing' method does not focus on the cause of the pain, but, for effective communication of an alternative therapy method, it is necessary to ensure the average reader understands and does not discount the information provided.

Regardless, the author writes concisely and provides good direction in adopting the method. This therefore allows readers to follow the information in a coherent manner. Therefore, in this light, it is an easy guide to follow.

Due to this book’s focus on homeopathic healing, I will not recommend this book to persons who are not open to alternative medicinal practices. Furthermore, I would recommend this book to those who are willing to undertake further research before adopting any single practice unreservedly. Certain approaches may work for some, but not for others.

Overall, I would rate Happy Healing by Dominque Bourlet 2 out of 4 stars . On one hand, I genuinely find that natural healing is appealing, however the manner in which the information is presented, as well as the lack of sufficient references is unappealing to me. As I mentioned before, further research is necessary for those who wish to utilize the practices in this book.

Happy Healing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like daydreaming reader's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Sweet Caroline by Kelda Laing Poynot

Post by Prisallen » 26 Apr 2019, 10:41

It is too bad this book wasn't written better, as a lot of people in pain could use something natural to help them deal with it. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 05 May 2019, 02:54

It would have been better of the author had done more research on the subject and presented the facts in a more convincing manner since natural healing techniques are better for both body and mind. I don't think this book would capture my interest and I won't be reading it. But, thanks for your thoughtful and honest review.

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by allbooked+ » 05 May 2019, 11:27

I am always looking for natural ways to care better for myself - but I think I would appreciate a book with proper references (to help distinguish from an authors opinions) to guide me! I enjoyed reading your review!

Allyseria
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria » 09 Aug 2019, 10:26

What a shame about the style of writing. It does sound like not enough research has been done when writing the book. Also, when I read this type of genre, I prefer the presentation to be factual than a conversation-style.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”