Review by Shrabastee -- You, The People by Pablo Digenio

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 353
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: You, The People by Pablo Digenio

Review by Shrabastee -- You, The People by Pablo Digenio

Post by Shrabastee » 09 Mar 2019, 03:08

[Following is a volunteer review of "You, The People" by Pablo Digenio.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Welcome to the party, ladies and gentlemen! We can guarantee you a memorable evening, the likes of which you have never experienced. Allow me to introduce our distinguished guests. This gorgeous and arrogant woman here is Ms. Rebecca Aseptue, a strict and unfairly demanding boss. Next is Mr. Alfred Dietz, a war veteran who mindlessly slaughtered a number of innocent people. The man next to him is Gary Haits, who likes to be in control by brutally torturing prostitutes. Standing beside him is Mr. Mike Nospetue, the most unscrupulous person you will ever have the misfortune to meet. Meet Johnny Fiendin, a video game junkie who feels alive only in a virtual world. Next in the queue is Ms. Teresa Egrette, who fell prey to her own distorted mind and ended up killing an innocent family.

All of our guests were featured as the protagonists in You, The People by Pablo Digenio. This is a unique collection of six short stories, each depicting one of our honored guests achieving redemption. The word 'redemption' probably makes you think of fascinating stories of hope, new sunrises, and profound changes. Be warned, reader, their tales are not at all rosy.

The stories introduce our guests at their worst. Their addiction to various vices makes them completely oblivious to the detrimental effects on other people. They are the embodiment of negativity, filled with every reckless folly imaginable. What awaits each of them may be utterly horrific or not, depending on their choices. However, no matter what, they will inevitably be drawn towards their destiny.

Although maintaining a distinguishable fable-like tone, these are not your average childhood fables. Instead, these are the darker, unedited versions. Judging by the page count, this unusual collection is a comparatively short read. However, the contents are quite unpleasant to read and even harder to digest. This book is definitely not for the faint-hearted.

Each story has its own cover page with an illustration of the protagonist. The colors employed are black and white, accompanied by a more vibrant shade. They convey a distinctly ominous sense of foreboding for the stories to come. Additionally, I liked how the sinister tales are recounted using a matter-of-fact tone, often with a head-turning twist in the end.

Consisting of only a few errors, the book seems well-edited. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars, deducting one star for the excessive blood and gore. I would suggest this book exclusively to the adult audience, especially those who are unbothered by the darker side of human nature. The more squeamish readers might want to stay away.

Thank you for attending the party. Please be warned that you might come across any of these dreadful persons at any moment. In fact, you might encounter one after stepping in front of a mirror. I hope you are sensible enough to rectify your faults before being hurled into the same downward spiral as our protagonists. First and foremost, this book serves as a mirror to reflect our inner monsters and shows us the grisly consequences of letting those monsters loose.

You, The People
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!

nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by nooregano » 14 Mar 2019, 22:49

I love short stories, they're one of my favourite genres! And I especially love short stories that show the "dark underbelly" of the psyche. You've got me really interested in reading this book, thanks for this incredible review!!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: The Emperor's Edge
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Sushan » 16 Mar 2019, 23:07

A well written review. It made me looking forward to read this one. Thank you 👍👍
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Lunastella
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: El método 15/33
Bookshelf Size: 931
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lunastella » 18 Mar 2019, 07:13

Thank you for attending the party. Please be warned that you might come across any of these dreadful persons at any moment. In fact, you might encounter one after stepping in front of a mirror. I hope you are sensible enough to rectify your faults before being hurled into the same downward spiral as our protagonists. First and foremost, this book serves as a mirror to reflect our inner monsters and shows us the grisly consequences of letting those monsters loose.
Definitely, we all have a dark side that we should strive to acknowledge in order to keep it in check. It's all up to our choices. The characters of this book seem morbidly fascinating and I can't wait to read how or if they will achieve redemption. Your review is very creative and compelling. Thank you!

Espie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 19 Mar 2019, 23:18

We all have dark and light sides, and it's good to note the characters all had their redeeming chance. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Emotional Intelligence Activity Book for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 20 Mar 2019, 16:53

This sounds like a very unique book with lots of interesting stories. I don't think this type of writing is for me, but it sounds the author accomplished his objective of showing the dark side of humanity.

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 642
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 21 Mar 2019, 09:00

Haha, when I was reading your review and I stumbled across this phrase: Be warned, reader, their tales are not at all rosy. I knew, I knew what I was getting into. Thanks. Thums up!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

spencermack
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading: Pretties
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by spencermack » 21 Mar 2019, 13:08

This story seems captivating with characters that are quite intriguing! Thanks for the great review!
Spencer Mack

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”