Review by mmm17 -- The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review by mmm17 -- The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever thought about how you would react to having vivid dreams and visions of spiritual entities? Would you consider drinking plant concoctions to achieve altered states of consciousness? The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment, by Richard L. Haight, brings these unconventional questions – and many more of the kind – to mind. Using the first-person point of view, the author weaves together his personal stories and tools that may be used in order to achieve spiritual growth.

My curiosity about this intriguing book arose as soon as I saw the purposeful title. Indeed, stemming from the author’s remarkable and hardly conceivable mystical episodes, the book intends to help readers to also procure spiritual awakening. I loved that Haight starts the book quoting the Tao – an ancient and intricate Chinese tradition not easy for westerners to grasp. So, I was immediately interested in it.

Throughout The Unbound Soul, we learn the unusual and striking events that happened to the author. He was just eight years old when, during a vision, he made Jesus a solemn promise: to find the essence of his teachings. He then overcomes several challenges, which include learning disorders and suicidal thoughts, and, in his early twenties, he again has a vision of an all-loving, limitless presence that points him in the way of enlightenment. His love of martial arts takes him to live in Tokyo for many years. He also spends time with a tribe in the Amazon, where he experiments with substances that alter consciousness.

Springing from these uncanny experiences, Haight develops the guide he promises readers in the title. The path to enlightenment is shown in a practical way, with techniques to develop awareness and reach spiritual transformation. Meditation, prayer, chanting, exercise, and proper nourishment are a few examples. Of particular interest to me was his analysis of resolving disharmony. I could really relate to it and see how his suggestions could be put to practice.

I am rating The Unbound Soul 4 out of 4 stars. It is very well edited. I did not find any errors in it. Kudos to the author for coming across as such a lovable man with the purest intentions – the kind of person I would like to meet. I definitely recommend this book to open-minded readers who are interested in eastern philosophies and traditions, as well as spiritual experiences. More skeptical readers - along with those who are less inclined to value spirituality - might not like it as much.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mmm17's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a great and well-written review. Thanks for writing it and the precise recommendation too. I am currently reading this book too and I like the fact that it is easy to read and understand.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

I loved the review, it made me fall in love with the story and the main character before I even read the book. Very well written. I look forward to seeing if the book lives up to such a wonderful description.
Archibong1306
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Archibong1306 »

Well, I haven't read it yet, but from the reviewers I guest it's gonna be interesting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”