Review by Sahani Nimandra -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 642
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 05 Mar 2019, 22:45

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you know the difference between Goals and Targets? Goals, found in football games in which a player may strike in multiple ways to achieve a goal, but a target found in archery is singular. The player can take his stance in any direction, yet have to strike the bullseye to win. Therefore, strive for more goals than targets in life, no matter how you experience, From Drift to SHIFT, you will get there.

As Jody B. Miller puts it,
"Everyone has a story to tell. Each of us are born with a unique offering to contribute to the betterment of this world. Some stories stop in their tracks and never move forward while others flow seamlessly. The most engaging stories are those that experience a shift somewhere along the way. A shift that gives them the strength, courage, and fortitude to move outside of their comfort zones and into places of belonging. These are the stories that motivate, inspire, and give us hope"(p.2).
In this collection of real-life events, Miller makes her readers experience how people broke off-road blocks and moved toward success. It's an ideal treasure trove that consists of 258 pages questioning how change can bring true meaning and happiness to our work and life. Readers who wish to feel inspired may take refuge in this read.

The structure of this self-help read consists of 4 parts, questioning: Why Shift? When To Shift? How To Shift? After The Shift? As an added feature, Miller has included an Introduction, an Appendix, Notes, Resources, and separate sections titled, The Balance Of Work And Play, How To Deal With The Complainers In Your Life, Advice I Thought I’d Never Give, Live Your Fairytale, Meet Someone New Every Day: A 6-Day Experiment. Concluding each chapter, Miller introduces a section titled, Takeaways. Miller uses this device as a sum up to gather the tools offered by each story.

The perspective of Miller's writing is helpful and motivational. Interviews with her sources are fascinating and full of ideas. Each unique story taught us to find our zeal in life. Miller's constant reminder about embracing positive change, risk-taking abilities, drive for achievement stood out the most. Her ability to constantly challenge and question the reader was an exquisite characteristic: her words make you think. Genuinely, I preferred the Takeaways from each section: they were short and to the point.

Every self-help book has its limitations, and this one's no exception. Miller confuses her readers with her attempts to draw a common thread between each story. She attributes their success to positivity and reckless attitude toward chasing their dreams, but in practice what you see is an example of survivorship. Though this read inspires hope for tough situations, it isn't an effective read when providing actual guidelines on how to go From Drift to SHIFT unlocking true happiness in life. At times, I felt the stories were rambling and over-verbose: they were just drifting when they can be more specific. I noted a few sentence structure errors, and I wish to exercise the importance of re-editing her work. I wish to give this read 4 out of 4 stars, but due to the tone in Chapter 3 and the disorganized nature in Chapter 6, I must settle with a 3 out of 4 stars.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Espie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 07 Mar 2019, 16:18

I think I like the portion you've quoted, too. I also see your point regarding the wordiness. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Lunastella
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: El método 15/33
Bookshelf Size: 931
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lunastella » 07 Mar 2019, 19:35

I've got to admit that change frightens me. But I acknowledge that it's necessary for growth. This book seems to be an inspirational and uplifting approach for those of us who don't like shifting a lot.
Thank you for your honest review, Sahani.

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 08 Mar 2019, 07:23

Espie wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 16:18
I think I like the portion you've quoted, too. I also see your point regarding the wordiness. Thank you for your honest review.
Thank you for commenting, dear! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 08 Mar 2019, 07:24

Lunastella wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 19:35
I've got to admit that change frightens me. But I acknowledge that it's necessary for growth. This book seems to be an inspirational and uplifting approach for those of us who don't like shifting a lot.
Thank you for your honest review, Sahani.
Thank you for your thoughts! I hope this read helps you, change isn't easy but essential. :tiphat:

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Emotional Intelligence Activity Book for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 11 Mar 2019, 22:43

Thanks for an insightful review. I am reading her other book, The MISOGI Method, right now. The subject matter is similar except she focuses on one method to achieve your dreams, rather than drifting around between several. I do like the subject, but her new book also needs some more editing.

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 11 Mar 2019, 22:59

unamilagra wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 22:43
Thanks for an insightful review. I am reading her other book, The MISOGI Method, right now. The subject matter is similar except she focuses on one method to achieve your dreams, rather than drifting around between several. I do like the subject, but her new book also needs some more editing.
Oh! You better notify that in your review. Some author's are really kind enough to take their reviewer's opinion into consideration, so you should put it out. Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:

Kajori50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: Fire Over Acadia by Ronald Gaffney

Post by Kajori50 » 13 Mar 2019, 13:32

Change is necessary to thrive in life.

Thank you for the detailed review.

angiejack456
Currently Reading: Behind Closed Doors
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by angiejack456 » 13 Mar 2019, 16:26

Excellent review! My favorite parts were the takeaways too. The stories were nice, but I only found a few of them truly inspiring.

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 13 Mar 2019, 18:59

Kajori50 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 13:32
Change is necessary to thrive in life.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 13 Mar 2019, 19:01

angiejack456 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 16:26
Excellent review! My favorite parts were the takeaways too. The stories were nice, but I only found a few of them truly inspiring.
Some of them were somewhat meaningless, I agree. Thank you for stopping by! :tiphat:

nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by nooregano » 14 Mar 2019, 11:04

This is a detailed, informative and clear review. It's true when you mentioned that a lot of self-help books really try to force a common thread between their concepts. That's a great insight! Also, when you mentioned that the author said that everyone had something unique to give the world, do you think there was a spiritual aspect to the advice she was giving? How is she defining this uniqueness, exactly? I'm just asking because it's something I've thought of a lot and it seems to be a self-evident statement. But where did it come from? And where does it come from if not a metaphysical perspective? Thanks!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 14 Mar 2019, 20:13

nooregano wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 11:04
This is a detailed, informative and clear review. It's true when you mentioned that a lot of self-help books really try to force a common thread between their concepts. That's a great insight! Also, when you mentioned that the author said that everyone had something unique to give the world, do you think there was a spiritual aspect to the advice she was giving? How is she defining this uniqueness, exactly? I'm just asking because it's something I've thought of a lot and it seems to be a self-evident statement. But where did it come from? And where does it come from if not a metaphysical perspective? Thanks!
We all have something to offer was my opinion, which is true. We all have a different story. We all serve a different purposes. Not only special people. We are born for a reason. Life has a meaning if we know to give it. The uniqueness in this read is that each story is written by different people under different circumstances. There is a book called Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston, is an uniquely inspiring read as this, but some of the stories are a bit out of topic in this one. It possible to view this point in philosophical aspects but it's also possible when we try to understand the meaning of life. Thank you for your valuable input! :tiphat:

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by Cotwani » 15 Mar 2019, 02:01

I know we all strive to chase our dreams, but as you put it, it is not realistic to do so recklessly. Thanks for your thorough review. The book sounds interesting all the same.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 15 Mar 2019, 02:08

Cotwani wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 02:01
I know we all strive to chase our dreams, but as you put it, it is not realistic to do so recklessly. Thanks for your thorough review. The book sounds interesting all the same.
Thank you! It is, I can assure that. :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”