Review by Ksharmilla -- The Last City of America

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by Ksharmilla -- The Last City of America

Post by Ksharmilla » 12 Jul 2018, 10:48

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The issue of population control is one that has been discussed for many years. At what point will the earth’s resources run out? When will the population plateau? Will there come a time when the planet is so overpopulated that everything is scarce and it is a fight for survival of the human race? These are just some of the questions plaguing this issue.

The Last City of America was written by Matthew Tysz. The book tells the tale of the seven remaining cities of America after the Hephaestus virus. The story is told from the points of view of several different characters, each of them with their own agenda. Each character has their own unique personality derived from their life experiences and their personal quest for something, whether it is revenge, power or survival. This is the story of humanity’s fall from grace, as well as its redemption. In the quest for knowledge and power, will the ultimate price be the destruction of the human race? Or will it be the saving of humanity?

I rate this book at 2 out of 4 stars. I felt like the main ideas behind the book were not original. If you have read Dan Brown’s “Inferno,” then you would be familiar with the idea of creating a virus and unleashing it on the world as a means of population control. Also, many of us have read “The Hunger Games” and have seen the movies. The fight for survival, the remaining cities, rebellion, and revenge were themes that were a huge part of “The Hunger Games.” Throughout this entire book by Mr. Tysz, I felt as if I were reading a combination of “Inferno” and “The Hunger Games.”

The other thing is that there were so many characters with so many different views that it became difficult to read the book and keep up with the story. The writing style was flat and monotonous. There was no excitement or thrill to the book. I personally feel that this was not one of the best written books I have read. There were great ideas and characters, but I felt there was some improvement needed. The book lacked finesse that this sort of plot would require.

I would recommend this book if you enjoy science fiction with lots of complicated characters. If you prefer science fiction that centre around lighter themes, then I would suggest you don’t read this book. This book is more suited for adults who enjoy heavy reading. Children and teenagers would not enjoy this book as it is too complex without being engaging. I hope that any future novels by this author will be of better quality and I look forward to what he may produce.

The Last City of America
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ksharmilla's review? Post a comment saying so!

Morgan Jones
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Alleged Affairs by Aniefiok Jackson

Post by Morgan Jones » 13 Jul 2018, 00:38

Thank you for the honest and detailed review! I'll make sure to keep your warnings in mind😊
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”