Review by anwidmer -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by anwidmer -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by anwidmer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeon’s Wife is a story that has deep plot lines with situations you wont see coming. A prominent surgeon Clayton Otherson practices primarily in bariatric surgery. Clayton is seemingly losing his touch while simultaneously advertising heavily to increase his caseload. This creates quite the problem for Michael Boudreaux Chief of surgery. The actions of Clayton force Mike to step in and save a patients life from the surgeons incapable hands. Thus the start of this deep and complicated tale. Why so complicated? Clayton happens to be Mike's former mentor and long time friend. How can he stop Clayton without dishonoring their deep relationship? As he begins his obligation to the hospital and his patients, Clayton becomes enraged at his perceived lack of loyalty from Mike. He becomes impossible to deal with even for his wife Catherine. What ensues is a twisted tale of love, loathing, trust and betrayal. The end of which none will see coming.

This story was surprisingly not at all what I thought it would be. I expected a thin plot with a racy affair and a predictable antagonist. This was not at all the case. The plot was deep and the characters well-developed. There are many characters in this book, all with their own stories being told simultaneously. While one would think that sounds confusing, this author expertly weaves the characters stories together leaving no rock unturned.

I found myself personally identifying most with Catherine’s daughter. An at first misunderstood spoiled brat who really is just a girl looking for her place in the world. Michael is a likable and relatable character as well with his kind heart and good nature. The author also paints a good picture of how hospital administration works in a way that keeps the audience engaged. I almost found the story something like an episode of Greys Anatomy, suspenseful and bold without boring you too much with medical jargon.

The few things I did not care for had nothing to do with the writing of the story. Rather it had everything to do with how invested I was in the characters. This is actually a compliment to the author as I could not put this book down. There were a few turns I would have liked to see go another way but they did not deter me from the story in any way.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. It was thoroughly intriguing and engaging. I read every moment I had to read. I did not see the end coming at all which pleased me and left me feeling satisfied at the end. I would recommend it to anyone who loves a good suspenseful story. Even my mystery/thriller friends might enjoy this one as only a slight change of pace. I know I did.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like anwidmer's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review! This sounds like a great book, and I say that as a Grey's Anatomy fan! I'm definitely going to put this on my to-read list.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

I appriciate your taking the time to read it! =) it really was not what i expected, i passed overbit a few times before reading it. I was pleasantly surprised as i feel you might be. What is your favorite genre?
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

This book sounds very good. The well developed characters and plot sound amazing and suspenseful. The lack of overwhelmingly confusing medical jargon is a plus as well. Trying to sit and read a book with a lot of medical terms is very boring no matter how good the story is. You just end up getting lost in the terms and trying to figure out their meaning instead of following the story. I will have to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like a truly engaging book. I shall look out for it.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

Thank you for your replies! It really was everything i was looking for without knowing it. The cover in my opinion os misleading and if id have judged the book by it i might not have read it. Its much more suspensful then the illustrator puts off.
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

anwidmer wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 12:25 I appriciate your taking the time to read it! =) it really was not what i expected, i passed overbit a few times before reading it. I was pleasantly surprised as i feel you might be. What is your favorite genre?
Oh man, I'm not sure if I have one - honestly, I'm just a sucker for great plots and rounded characters. :lol: How about you?
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

gen_g wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 10:48
anwidmer wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 12:25 I appriciate your taking the time to read it! =) it really was not what i expected, i passed overbit a few times before reading it. I was pleasantly surprised as i feel you might be. What is your favorite genre?
Oh man, I'm not sure if I have one - honestly, I'm just a sucker for great plots and rounded characters. :lol: How about you?
Id have to say the same as far as being drawn to just a generally GOOD book. However ive always gravitated a little more towards the CMT. The horror isnt my style and i dont tend to go for romances either. Like i said before though ive read both on recommendations and have enjoyed them for their quality.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

anwidmer wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 10:56
gen_g wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 10:48
Id have to say the same as far as being drawn to just a generally GOOD book. However ive always gravitated a little more towards the CMT. The horror isnt my style and i dont tend to go for romances either. Like i said before though ive read both on recommendations and have enjoyed them for their quality.
Me too! Although I'd have to say, I'm definitely a sucker for great romances though. :lol:
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

You should try The elusive Mr Valucci by Tina Ruiz its new but very juicy =)
Iviss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iviss.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Iviss »

I have just finished reading this book. It's great! :) And I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for the detailed analysis :)
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

Iviss wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 06:49 I have just finished reading this book. It's great! :) And I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for the detailed analysis :)
I agree, were you surprised? I felt the cover didnt justify the book and those who judge by cover alone might skip past it
Iviss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iviss.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Iviss »

I definitely didn't expect this kind of twist, but that's what makes the book even more interesting. And yes, the cover is totally unrelated to the plot.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”