Review by Espie -- Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Review by Espie -- Trip to Adele

Post by Espie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Trip to Adele" by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Trip to Adele is a fiction translated from the original work in Arabic of siblings R.I. and A.I. Alyaseer who both are avid fans of one of the most famous singers of our time, Adele; thus, this story will surely appeal to the star's admirers just like myself. I initially thought that the story would be about someone's travel to a real or even a fictional place with a name similar to that of one of my most favourite artists', but it turned out to be not the case. This work is not for those who are expecting a biography or detailed accounts of the singing idol's life either.

The novel revolves around three groups of people at various parts of the world with at least two things in common: an Islamic background and having their lives influenced by Adele's music and lyrics enough for them to want to take that trip to Rome for the diva's concert. It starts with Elias who struggled to get over his love for a prostitute named Malika in Morocco. He encourages Malika in her dream to escape the bondage she's in; before he left her and went back to his usual life in Rome, he gave her CDs of Adele's songs and other materials to make her learn English and equip herself enough to escape the clutches of her circumstances and become a free woman. In Las Vegas, married couple Yaser and Mariam struggle to find a memory to rekindle their love and save their souring marriage. Amidst his desperation, Yaser remembers Adele's song in the background when he proposed marriage to Mariam; he then bought tickets to Adele's concert hoping that the music will help bring back the memories, other thoughts and feelings that will keep them together. Quite unusual for a woman in her community in Jordan, Nadia is staunch in her convictions and decisions. As undaunted as she had been when she sought divorce to free herself from her ex husband's emotional and physical abuses, she was prepared to defy her employers and risk losing her job just to fulfill her promise to bring her son to Adele's concert. However, just like in what a good novel should be, there were twists and turns along these individuals' paths.

A Catholic from birth and by choice, I had initial hesitations in finishing the book. My qualms stem from the presumption that there might be ideas, views or thoughts which could be offensive, disturbing, in conflict with my own viewpoints, or something I won't be able to understand at all. However, except for some Arabic words and unfamiliar names of people, places, food and other things that I can't even pronounce and (much more so) remember, the book didn't turn out too outlandish as I feared. In fact, whereas I may not agree with what some of the characters may think or feel, those details are still not pointless but are windows through which I could catch a glimpse of the intricacies and uniqueness of socio-cultural groups different from my own. Respect is not just a mere word but a potent catalyst for amiable, productive, cooperative relationships and interactions; I just had to set aside my preconceived notions, natural biased tendencies, and deep-seated prejudices acquired throughout the earliest parts of my existence.

What I liked about the novel is that it interweaves threads of the various facets of our psychedelic world, differentiating similarities and finding common grounds amongst the differences, and ultimately producing rhyme and rhythm befitting a symphony's plethora of songs. For instance, in the supposed practical and scientific realm of medical surgery, Yaser disdains Mariam's faith and ethical convictions. Whereas he was already supposed to overcome the rigidity of his culture's traditions when he has been integrated fully in a first-world country's modernity, Elias still finds himself unable to disbelieve black magic, curses, pledges and oaths. Amidst the male-dominated and paternalistic society she's in, Nadia defies expectations and consequently experiences disdain not only from her ex but also from her own extended family. With the ascent and descent of the mood and tempo of its characters' lives, the novel also carefully alludes each chapter to the lines of Adele's songs. The musical pieces took on a deeper depth and more flavoured meaning as the words sum up the characters' experiences. Although the ending wasn't as fully feel-good as that of my younger days' fairy tale ones, the novel still struck some of my heartstrings; I even shed a tear or two last night as I neared the book's finale.

I spotted just a few grammatical and/or typographical errors in the well-translated piece. For instance, "your" was used instead of "as" in paragraph 8 of page 13. There was a misplaced "as" in sentence 2 at paragraph 10 of page 13. Also, the 4th line in paragraph 8 of page 22 could have been written as "one thing or another" and not "something or other."

Overall, I could have given the book a lower mark because of the limited range of demographics that it could possibly appeal to. However, with the good form and substance of the work primarily in mind, I'd let one facet of my often-suppressed subjectivity (this time anchored on my being an Adele fan myself) to dominate for now, and negate that supposed minus point. I, therefore, give the book a 4 out of 4 stars rating.

Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Espie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your detailed review. The book's premise is certainly interesting, and it is a pity that it seems to be able to only appeal to certain demographics. However, it is great that the book is able to open one's mind to other perspectives - that is the benefit of reading, afterall!
Espie

Post by Espie »

gen_g wrote: 14 May 2018, 09:25 Thank you for your detailed review. The book's premise is certainly interesting, and it is a pity that it seems to be able to only appeal to certain demographics. However, it is great that the book is able to open one's mind to other perspectives - that is the benefit of reading, afterall!
It is a pleasure to share my insights somehow. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post, too. I'm so glad to have my very first one in this site.

You may have to excuse me for my statement on the book's readership demographics because it may become an oxymoron. This is considering its immense marketing and corresponding sales possibilities due to its most-famous namesake, Adele. For instance, Hello has generated over 2.5billion views in YouTube alone, with annual royalties/incomes just from that site already ranging up to $6.3million based on online stats.

I also definitely agree with you on the positive benefits of reading, including how it broadens one's personal perspectives.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Espie wrote: 15 May 2018, 01:17
gen_g wrote: 14 May 2018, 09:25 Thank you for your detailed review. The book's premise is certainly interesting, and it is a pity that it seems to be able to only appeal to certain demographics. However, it is great that the book is able to open one's mind to other perspectives - that is the benefit of reading, afterall!
It is a pleasure to share my insights somehow. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post, too. I'm so glad to have my very first one in this site.

You may have to excuse me for my statement on the book's readership demographics because it may become an oxymoron. This is considering its immense marketing and corresponding sales possibilities due to its most-famous namesake, Adele. For instance, Hello has generated over 2.5billion views in YouTube alone, with annual royalties/incomes just from that site already ranging up to $6.3million based on online stats.

I also definitely agree with you on the positive benefits of reading, including how it broadens one's personal perspectives.
You are very welcome, as all of us need replies for our reviews. It's great to always have discussions about interesting issues and themes on each other's reviews You are right though, Adele would be a great leveller, since she is a massive hit worldwide. Rolling in the Deep is one of my very favourites of hers!
Espie

Post by Espie »

gen_g wrote: 15 May 2018, 02:25
You are very welcome, as all of us need replies for our reviews. It's great to always have discussions about interesting issues and themes on each other's reviews You are right though, Adele would be a great leveller, since she is a massive hit worldwide. Rolling in the Deep is one of my very favourites of hers!
I concur with that. I like the rhythm, music, and soul of that Adele song, too. By the way, it's also interesting to note that you've got a musical G clef as your profile avatar. Aside from your prolific writing, it shouldn't be a surprise if music is also one of your passions. Cheers.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

i read several reviews of this book in which 3 group of persons going to same place for similar purpose and found perspectives differ little bit how ever points that this book is good. thanks for review
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Espie

Post by Espie »

sanjus wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 16:16 i read several reviews of this book in which 3 group of persons going to same place for similar purpose and found perspectives differ little bit how ever points that this book is good. thanks for review
Thank you, Sanjus, for taking the time to read and comment on my review. It is a worthwhile read, indeed. Cheers.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

It's a shame about the spelling mistake. It sounds like an interesting read. I really enjoyed your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Espie

Post by Espie »

JR Mercier wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 04:54 It's a shame about the spelling mistake. It sounds like an interesting read. I really enjoyed your review.
There weren't too many errors, though I agree that professional editing and proofreading should have had that covered prior to publishing. It indeed was a worthwhile read.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my review.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Thanks for this review. I like books that share perspectives from other cultures and religions, but it's hard to find those that do it well. It sounds like this one hits the mark.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Dael Reader wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 16:50 Thanks for this review. I like books that share perspectives from other cultures and religions, but it's hard to find those that do it well. It sounds like this one hits the mark.
This one smoothly gives enough backgrounder without hitting it too hard with too much academic technicalities and jargons, all enough for a leisurely yet still insightful read. Thank you for taking the time to read my review and to share some of your corresponding precious pieces of thoughts. Happy reading (and reviewing)!
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

This is an amazing book, I really enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for your descriptions and the great introduction for this book.
Espie

Post by Espie »

onixpam wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 13:47 This is an amazing book, I really enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for your descriptions and the great introduction for this book.
It's my first review and I'm glad I chose it. Thanks as well!😊
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Great review! I love how you didn't just focus on the plot but also delved into some of the literary techniques. Personally, I read the sample and wasn't a massive fan, but I think if you're an Adele fan, there's definitely another layer of depth to it.
Espie

Post by Espie »

meadhbh wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 19:23 Great review! I love how you didn't just focus on the plot but also delved into some of the literary techniques. Personally, I read the sample and wasn't a massive fan, but I think if you're an Adele fan, there's definitely another layer of depth to it.
Thanks a lot for dropping by as well as for your kind words and well-meant feedback. Much appreciated, really! I agree that each of us got our own unique individual preferences and corresponding styles, to be expected and understood.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”