Review by anwidmer -- The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by anwidmer -- The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

Post by anwidmer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Broadcast" by Liam Fialkov.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The broadcast is a story that takes us through the world of media and journalism and it’s possible deceptions to the public. The story leads many separate characters lives toward both each other and the show itself. The show which uses secretive technology to produce material that is simply unbelievable to the public is a source of great controversy. Never before seen footage surfaces and before long the secret and very intriguing technology is sought after by police to solve their many unsolved cases. What started out as a one time airing turns in to a full scale weekly showing of “the broadcast.” The show evolves from there along with the many characters in the book whom are each draw or connected to the show or each other in some way. The story weaves the lives of people from across the continent together through inexplicable events and a host of twists and turns, which leave you wondering to the last page.

Most of the book to me was more characterization and descriptive episodes of the broadcast then necessary. It seemed too much time was devoted to developing different characters, many of which did not hold a role in what seemed to be the plot line. As an example the explanation and background story of a cousin of a secondary character whom is only mentioned once in the book would not be necessary. Yet this happens frequently throughout the broadcast. This made it hard to keep clear and follow the storyline.

With so many main and secondary characters to keep straight to begin with, the extra descriptions took needed attention away from the main plot. A plot which emerged very slowly and was left incomplete for me.

I did not find that the story expanded upon what i would have thought to be pivotal moments. What you would assume to be major points in the plot seemed to just sizzle out never to be returned to. I found myself left with many questions feeling the entire time that I was on the precipice of a long awaited epiphany which never came.
I did enjoy the main idea and content aside from feeling the story didn’t come full circle. The characterization was thorough which connected me to and made me feel invested in each member of the story. However many of the descriptive backgrounds didn’t lend anything to the storyline as mentioned above.

This is a hard book for me to review as the precipice of the book was great, and the characterization thorough however I was left with a feeling the story did not deliver. I would rate this book a 2 out of 4 star rating as I was propelled to finish it, it just left too much “unfinished business” for me.

The Broadcast
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anwidmer's review? Post a comment saying so!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I enjoyed your summary of the book.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I thought this one sounded great, but I've seen a couple reviews that scored it low. I might skip this one.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

thaservices1 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 22:18 I enjoyed your summary of the book.
Thank you!
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

Same here, upon reading the synopsis i thought it would be great to sink my teeth into. Unfortunately i found it lacking in transitions and had a hard time bring the story together for myself.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

In response to your note about the characters that don't have much of a role in the plot--what did you think about Irene? I thought she had very little to do with the story and could have been left out. Did you notice, that in the middle of the book, we find out that Sarah has a brother, yet we never learn his name and he has absolutely no role in the story at all? So why include him? That annoyed me for a few chapters. Overall, I thought the bad dialogue and other mechanical errors really bogged down what could be a great story. I enjoyed your review.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

Dael Reader wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 19:25 In response to your note about the characters that don't have much of a role in the plot--what did you think about Irene? I thought she had very little to do with the story and could have been left out. Did you notice, that in the middle of the book, we find out that Sarah has a brother, yet we never learn his name and he has absolutely no role in the story at all? So why include him? That annoyed me for a few chapters. Overall, I thought the bad dialogue and other mechanical errors really bogged down what could be a great story. I enjoyed your review.
Yes! I felt her character was poorly developed and lent little to the story as a whole. And i thought Sarah having a brother was going to take the story to another level but as you said the author never goes back to that, i found it aggrivating as well. There were actually quite a few characters described as though they had meaning then never mentioned again. Very annoying when trying to get into the meat of the story

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”