Review by JR Mercier -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Review by JR Mercier -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love… at your service follows the character, Randy Love. He’s a handsome man with charm and intelligence, but he is sorely lacking when it comes to common sense and any sort of emotional intelligence. In this story, we follow Randy as he learns that having people by your side is what makes life worth living.

Randy Love… at your service had a very promising start. The accent came through clearly and the writing was simple and eloquent. It was also the type of book that created vivid scenes without using pages and pages full of adjectives describing the colour of a bedside table. Simple, to the point, and clean. The other characters weren’t really developed and only had a brief overview, but it fit with the whole premise of who Randy Love was - a selfish man that didn’t really see the need to concentrate on the lives around him. As his sister Heather put it, he was Zeus and the rest were the minions.

Stories with big, supportive families that always squabble and rage at each other are my kryptonite. Something about the unconditional love of family soothes my soul so it’s no surprise that I loved how Randy’s family was always there for him. They would have a great laugh at his antics and the ridiculous situations he gets himself into, but ultimately, they stood by him and tried to show him the error of his ways.

Finally, let‘s talk about our lost soul: Randy Love. He has no problem finding female attention and he has a group of great friends. So why is Randy so disconnected from the world around him? To me, it felt like Randy is that part in all of us that believes we are the main character and everyone else is a prop to our story. He struts through life in his own little bubble, doing what he wants - consequences be damned. This attitude leads Randy into muddy water, but slowly he learns that everyone is the main character to their own story.

The only real complaints I have is that the story started to lag and that the whole book felt slightly monotone. There was no real climax. I understand that the author had written the book almost like a diary but after a while, it became tiresome to hear about Randy’s daily routine.

I rate this book 2 out of 4
. I would recommend Randy Love… at your service to anyone looking for a light read. Something that will have you muttering under your breath, giggling, and shaking your head in exasperation at the nerve of Randy Love.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I don't think this one is for me. I would probably want to reach into the book and slap him. :violence-smack:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

teacherjh wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 09:20 I don't think this one is for me. I would probably want to reach into the book and slap him. :violence-smack:
:lol: :lol: I get the feeling. Sometimes he had me clenching my teeth but, alas, there is hope for the future. :tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Randy seems like a complicated person, so it's a pity that the story didn't give more than just the bare minimum. I would have been tempted had there been a little more excitement.
I really enjoyed this review, well done :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Bianka Walter wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 06:01 Randy seems like a complicated person, so it's a pity that the story didn't give more than just the bare minimum. I would have been tempted had there been a little more excitement.
I really enjoyed this review, well done :)
I agree wholeheartedly. It could have been a great coming-of-age story but everything really felt like a quick summary. And Thank you! :mrgreen: :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

shanettepienaar1971 wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 03:18 Randy Love sounds like my kind of guy. Very interesting take on this story. Good review.
I'm glad you liked it. And he is definitely an interesting character.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

hey great review, totally agree with you about the lack of climax, a little disappointing wasn't it
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

alisonedgee wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 20:42 hey great review, totally agree with you about the lack of climax, a little disappointing wasn't it
It really was. I'm all for a relaxing read but I want SOMETHING to happen. :lol:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice to see your review that shares your insight about this book again as per score given it looks like the other character were not well portrayed except the main character Randy
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Interesting perspective that Randy is that part in all of us that believes we are the main character and everyone else is a prop to our story. Here's hoping I'm not as exasperating as he is!!!!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

sanjus wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 16:00 nice to see your review that shares your insight about this book again as per score given it looks like the other character were not well portrayed except the main character Randy
Perfectly said. Thank you for commenting.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cotwani wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 16:58 Interesting perspective that Randy is that part in all of us that believes we are the main character and everyone else is a prop to our story. Here's hoping I'm not as exasperating as he is!!!!
I doubt you are :lol: And if we are, hopefully we're aware of it now. Thank you for commenting!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”