Official Review of Superhighway

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
corndog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corndog12.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by corndog12 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by corndog12 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]

[rbc=4]id50303-125[/rbc]Most 18-year-olds graduate high school and look forward to attending college soon or finding that perfect summer job. Alex Fine, however, discovers there are more intriguing--and dangerous--ways to pass his time in Alex Frayman’s newest novel, [i]Superhighway[/i].

Alex Fine, the young orphaned protagonist in this first installment of Frayman’s trilogy, finds he has more than a simple affinity for computers. He accidentally discovers he has the ability to transport himself anywhere in the world via the electronic “superhighway” of the internet. Alex not only discovers he can go anywhere he wants--as long as he can picture it via internet search--but he can also retain information by downloading it as if he himself were a computer. These new abilities open a world of possibilities for Alex. He determines to use his new abilities to make the world a better place, which he is able to do with remarkable ease. But of course, nothing is as simple as it seems, and Alex learns some painful lessons along the way about relationships and the need for covering one’s tracks when dealing with Russian mobsters and the CIA. Alex also learns he is not the only person with the ability to travel in this manner, and makes some discoveries about his mysterious past as well.

[i]Superhighway[/i] is a well-written piece that flows easily through the plot and the many changes of scene. The various locations are interesting and the descriptions of these places (Amsterdam, Hawaii, San Lucia, Los Angeles--to name a few) are vivid. At times, one may need to remind oneself how young Alex is because his actions and thought processes appear at first to be much more mature than those of most 18-year-olds. His naivete does show through, however, in the end when the consequences of his choices come back to haunt him.

Frayman has created a novel with an interesting premise. The protagonist is likable and the reader may find himself rooting for Alex’s plan to work and make the world a better place. The writer’s style is at times a bit wordy, but overall it is a very well-written piece. The ending of this first work of Frayman’s trilogy ends with the obligatory cliffhanger, but the effect seems too abrupt. I will certainly be looking for the second installment to find out how Alex escapes the nearly impossible situation in which he was left in the end.

If you are a lover of science fiction, computers, or espionage, you will enjoy reading [i]Superhighway[/i]. I give [i]Superhighway[/i] a rating of[b] 4 out of 4 stars[/b], and I look forward to the rest of the story.

Superhighway
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/book.php?id=50303]on Bookshelves[/url] | on Amazon | [smashwords=50303]on Smashwords[/smashwords]

Like corndog12's review? Post a comment saying so!
corndog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corndog12.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by corndog12 »

I apologize for the error of misspelling Alex Fayman's name. That was inexcusable.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

i really want to read this, glad you gave it a high rating

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”