Review by DathanReeves -- Becoming the Dragon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Re: Review by DathanReeves -- Becoming the Dragon

Post by Dolor »

Your review is honest enough. I'm sorry to hear your disappointments on this book. I had also read this book when it became the Book of the Day. I'm into this book's genre but the first half of the book did not hook me up.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

You've certainly given a thorough review of this book. It seems the flaws stem from lack of depth in the plot.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

appreciate the thorough review of the book, i love the honesty, i feel that you've probably got a bit more patience than have in this respect, the things that made you annoyed enough to give two stars. i feel they would be too infuriating and distracting to make it through the entire novel.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

Dolor wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 02:19 Your review is honest enough. I'm sorry to hear your disappointments on this book. I had also read this book when it became the Book of the Day. I'm into this book's genre but the first half of the book did not hook me up.
Personally, I didn't hate the first half. I'm reading Lord of the Rings right now and I'm loving it even though it is a bit dry and lengthy. My biggest frustration with the 1st half was it was so rushed we were never given a chance to care.
DathanReeves

Post by DathanReeves »

Nimat87 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 10:07 You've certainly given a thorough review of this book. It seems the flaws stem from lack of depth in the plot.
Exactly, like I said in the review, there was enough material to make 2 books and expand the world and characters more organically and in more depth. I'm learning that this isn't an isolated problem either, so many writers cut a lot of these things because they don't think the audience will care.
DathanReeves

Post by DathanReeves »

alisonedgee wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 10:42 appreciate the thorough review of the book, i love the honesty, i feel that you've probably got a bit more patience than have in this respect, the things that made you annoyed enough to give two stars. i feel they would be too infuriating and distracting to make it through the entire novel.
I grew up quirky and odd, forcing most people I know to learn the value of patience, therefore I give the same courtesy to everything else, even books with glaring flaws.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I see how the late introduction of the sister could have created a lot of confusion to the readers. You're right, the book should have been spilt into two parts to help make it more digestible.

Great review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
DathanReeves

Post by DathanReeves »

Samy Lax wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 23:08 I see how the late introduction of the sister could have created a lot of confusion to the readers. You're right, the book should have been spilt into two parts to help make it more digestible.

Great review!
I liked the story, but it read more like a 4th grade history book and less like an epic.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”