Review by Alissafry12 -- Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alissafry12
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissafry12.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Review by Alissafry12 -- Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by Alissafry12 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toxic Side Effect" by Sandy Magner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner, Jennifer is faced with the horrifying and sudden loss of her father. She is determined to find out how he died and why. In her search for answers, she is confronted with surprises that lead to even more questions. These family secrets take a toll on her emotions, and she wonders if the whole truth will ever come to light.

I really got sucked into this book from the very first page. It starts right in the middle of a dramatic event. So many intriguing developments continued to pop up, and I couldn't put the book down. Each new revelation brought a mix of emotions. The characters were created in a way that made me really care about them. The dialogues were exactly what I would expect to hear if I were in the same situations. This made the book easy to read.

I wish there had been more details given about Jennifer’s past. There were several teasers about things that she had experienced, but never a full, detailed explanation. It created suspense, but didn’t deliver a conclusion. Otherwise, I found her character to be very down to earth. She was easy to sympathize with. I didn’t find any other parts of the book to be disappointing.

There seemed to be 2 themes shown throughout the story. First, the complexity of human emotions. When confronted with adversity and challenges, there’s no right or wrong way to feel. The characters’ honest emotions were often conflicted. They could feel betrayed but be forgiving. They could hate but feel compassionate. Many emotions tend to be survival mechanisms during challenging times. It might be easier to forgive than to hold on to anger. It might be easier to show compassion than to harbor feelings of hate. The second theme was the consequences of actions. There’s a domino effect to every decision we make. We may not even be aware of everyone impacted. Selfishness may make us happy, but it can bring pain to others.

The ending was unpredictable and surprising. I thought I knew how it was going to conclude, but I was wrong. The epilogue did a great job of tying up loose ends, and again, showing human kindness and compassion. The book made me really think about the choices we make and the effect they have on others. I would give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Anyone who is offended by cursing would be turned off by this book, but I found very little wrong with the book and would definitely recommend it to others.

Toxic Side Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Alissafry12's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review - I like it when the author displays complexity of emotion in characters, as it makes them more human and relatable. It seems like a great read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”