Review by Bookmermaid -- The Buried Secrets of Peonies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Review by Bookmermaid -- The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Post by P Reefer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Buried Secrets of Peonies" by Mernegar Dorgoly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dorgoly, The Buried Secrets of Peonies excavates the unceremonious burials of the 3,800 Iranian men and women by an Islamic regime in forty-five pages. The excavation is accomplished by the eight succinct and distinct narratives that sometimes whisper and sometimes scream aspects of the gruelling torture, the suffocating imprisonment, and the multiple anxieties experienced during the 1988 massacre. The author, also successfully alludes to the potential physical beauty of the landscape and people most notably in her opening and closing chapters, which speaks of the cultivation of petunias and peonies.

What I love about the novel, is that it is much more than a rehashing of the sordid deeds committed by a violent regime; it is also a tale of heart-breaking love, the love of siblings, husband and wives and parents for their children and vice versa. This book is an eye-opening historical journey that opens a vista to internationally notorious reports of internecine wars.

The straightforward narration and conversational tone of the writer is one that gently yet rapidly coils the reader to listen and witness the hidden stories. It is the story of the amazing and sacrificial love that may bring a tear to the readers’ eye if they manage to stay dried eye after reliving succinct yet unnerving journeys of torture, rape and execution. The narratives of Mohsen, Iraj, Ali, Farbode, Laleh, Ashan, Zeeba and other unnamed protagonists told in separate chapters are independent short narratives all containing the common threads of the loss and death-like existence due to loss of humanity from the oppressors.

The author delicately gives the reader a peak of the sordid world without leaving the reader feeling heavy and drained. This author accomplishes the incredible feat of rendering events of horror, murder, rape and disembodiment in a palpable fashion. The narratives embolden the reader with courage to listen and empathize and ultimately to live more consciously.

The book editing is professional; I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as the author successfully creates credible characters with select and poignant descriptive language and literary devices to dig into the bloodstained earth and the re-plastered walls to give voice to the silenced. There is nothing that I disliked, not even the brevity of the chapters as the very silences of the raised voices tell its own stories. Ultimately, the unearthed secrets scream for transformation from systems of injustice that unleash terror on the lives of ordinary men and women.

Bookmermaid1

The Buried Secrets of Peonies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bookmermaid's review? Post a comment saying so!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Mermaid, your review is so lovely and it profoundly captures the truth of Dorgoly's work. I hope the author takes the time to read your beautifully characterized review and it helps promote her cause to audiences everywhere.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
taitty
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by taitty »

this review made me go look up on the author and the book. It will be worth the reading, I must say the characters come alive visually
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Hartje, thank you for your kind and heartwarming remarks.
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

I am sure you will find this book is worth the time. thanks for commenting.
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

taitty wrote: 20 May 2018, 14:36 this review made me go look up on the author and the book. It will be worth the reading, I must say the characters come alive visually
I am sure that your time invested in reading this book will be a transformational one.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I have also this book and got a lot of the same thoughts and emotions that describe here. The way you describe it all makes me want to go back and reread it so that I can encapsulate the thoughts and emotions that went through my head. Too often people forget how much the people have suffered at the hands of the Islamic regime, and only focus on their ethnocentrism views of them all being terrorists.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the review. Our perspectives are certainly broadened from insights by authors like Dorgoly.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Wow... Great review! The story seems horrifying. There have been incidents like this all over the world. The most notable is World War 2.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Thanks, Sunnyroyish, I think the narrative was a great one, dealing with troubling issues but it was not horrifying in a disempowering way.
S_Ramkalawan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by S_Ramkalawan »

What an insightful review! You definitely captured the essence of the novel. This sounds like a novel that would tug at your heart strings.
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Thank you for reading and commenting, it was an emotionally stirring novel.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The book sounds beautiful despite its grim subject matter. The Iranian massacre in 1988 is a terrible moment in history but it sounds like the author treats it with care.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Yes she does treat the subject delicately. Thank you for reading and commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”