Review by JudasFm -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Review by JudasFm -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by Jude Austin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is a short children's book that not only encourages children to read, but offers a more interactive experience than most books in the form of a coloring page and several suggestions for how parents/teachers and children can use the book to learn. It deliberately uses words that children may not be familiar with in an effort to expand their vocabulary, and by and large it works well.

It's told in the form of rhyming couplets (generally one rhyme to each page, although some stretch over two pages) and is the story about a cat who goes out looking for a rat, but instead finds a skunk and...yeah, you can probably guess what happens next. There are a few pages where the rhymes don't scan properly, but by and large it isn't a problem and the language is age appropriate for young children. There's no target audience, but very young children may struggle a little with the narration-heavy style of storytelling, and even with adult guidance might find some of the words a little difficult.

Rhyming words are underlined, something which strikes me as unnecessary but it doesn't detract from the book as a whole. Some make little sense and seem as though they were put in purely to rhyme, such as the odor that "will mess up your hair".

The pictures are appropriate to the story but look like they've been drawn by the intended child audience (which I believe was the creators' intention). While I found them charming, children's books tend to feature very bright, vibrant pictures and so these images might fall a little flat. The title could have been slightly more explicit; maybe Puffy the Cat and the Formidable Foe would have been better, but this is a very minor nitpick.

The coloring page at the end of the book is a clever idea and one that I think more children's books should implement. I feel like the authors went slightly over the top when it came to new words though; as someone who has worked with young children, I'm not sure how many would have the patience to listen to a story which has to constantly be interrupted for this word and that to be explained.

I rate this book a solid 3 out of 4 stars. It's a clever idea and one that I think the creators could expand upon further, but it feels a bit like they tried to do a little too much which is why I can't rate it any higher.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JudasFm's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

Great review! Sounds like this book could have used a touch more editing to make sure the couplets scanned well. That's disappointing. I think when you have very few words in your book, you really have to make sure they shine as much as possible. Seems like the juvenile drawings and the advanced vocabulary create kind of a dissonant quality.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Thank you :) Yes, the drawings seriously didn't match up. I had to leave a review on Amazon for this one as well and a lot of the reviewers there were saying the same thing. The couplet thing really did bother me; I read books like this aloud to my friends' kids a lot and there's nothing more distracting than poor rhythms. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think it's essential to expose children to new words; there's no other way for them to learn. But I understand your argument. The author could've found a balance between familiar and new words for kids not be overwhelmed.
I love the idea of a more interactive reading experience, though.
Thank you for such an analytical review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”