Review by ChrisPhillips -- Who Told You That You Were Na...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChrisPhillips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisphillips.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Review by ChrisPhillips -- Who Told You That You Were Na...

Post by ChrisPhillips »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William E. Combs is nonfiction book which presents an analysis of crucial biblical topics i.e. the fall of man, deception, and compromise, sin and righteousness, faith and restoration, self-justification and grace, just to mention but a few. Combs does not fall into the abyss of being preachy, the prudence and soberness in his argument portray his sanity as a scholar and minister of the word while retaining the authentic intent of his work .

The book is built chronologically, that is, from Eden where it all started and to God’s plan, man’s responsibility, the initial man, the falling man, the fallen man, and practical steps to restoration. There is a smooth flow of ideas, easy to follow and understand. There is no internal conflict in the analysis of content and presentation of the ideas. This is exemplary.

Combs uses personal testimonies, for example; the tough times of his wife in college, Ralph and the kidney stone, and the events that led to the exodus of his parents from Phoenix to Alaska to Matanuska valley after the Second World War. These testimonies give life to his work and relatively relates with relevance to events and experiences recorded in the bible.

The author styles up his work by use of flashback when he recalls the initial days when the family relocates. He analyzes biblical themes in an amicable tone that captures the attention of the reader from the start, walking him through to the end. He uses metaphors to paint clear images like the innocent Garden of Eden, which was peaceful, showing it by the flowing River Euphrates. Then chaos, through the lioness who attacks a ewe, leaving “Lively”, the lamb, motherless and helpless. Combs has a light touch of humor and sarcasm in his work, just like his great admirer Paul the Apostle. This is seen in the the presentation of Jared reaction to Joshua’s sermon. On the other hand, I have found the author bold, not shying off, to express his personal view especially when he disintegrate through a pile of literature to reach the root cause of the fall of man. His experience as a minister and a scholar is served.

Who told you, you were naked? Is a powerful and inspiring book. A tool of study to scholars, a guide to called and dedicated religious leaders, and a complete reference to those who seek to find the truth behind life as it is. The author thematically tethers the events he started in the Garden of Eden, to their final fulfillment in the Garden of Gethsemane. This, in turn, has given tranquility and balance in his writing. He has backed up his writing with sufficient references, scriptures, periodicals, books, and hymns which have brought out a full picture of his intended. He picks out on sound and undisputed, doctrinal authorities on both sides of the Bible, that is, the old dispensation represented by Abraham, Moses, and Isaiah in as well as Jesus and Paul in the new dispensation, hence bringing out the harmony in the Bible.

Though I have enjoyed a smooth flow of thoughts and events through the book, correct choice of words, and an authoritative and articulate voicing of issues. I have found this book limited in audience it address. It is most suitable to scholars who have invested much in search of knowledge and truth. Therefore, rate this book, who told you, you were naked? 3 out of 4 stars. I hope to read such a challenging and mind awakening book soon.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ChrisPhillips's review? Post a comment saying so!
Perfect Ndlovu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 341">Puffy and the Formidable Foe</a>
Currently Reading: Alphabet Motivation
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Perfect Ndlovu »

This book is so amazing, according to what Adam and Eva did.But God still love us,he is our Father, our saviour and he is everything to us.Thank you so much for that great review.
ChrisPhillips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisphillips.html

Post by ChrisPhillips »

We return all Glory be to God. I wish this book will reach to more people buried in religion yet forgetting the object of Godliness
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I also reviewed this book! I find Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs very remarkable. Apart from the fresh way he reexamines the Garden of Eden incident, the simple storytelling writing style appeals to me. Congrats, ChrisPhillips, on your review.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”