Review by Eric77 -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eric77
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric77.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Review by Eric77 -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by Eric77 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Banned Book about Love by Scott Hughes, as the title suggests, is a book about love. It is a very controversial book. The book uses the case of Brock Turner, a convicted sexual offender to advocate for love. The famous athlete, Brock Turner was convicted of three felonies:
(1) assault with intent to rape an intoxicated woman, (2) sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object, and (3) sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object
. Both Brock Turner and his victim were extremely drunk. He was given a six months sentence of which he was probably going to spend just three. Naturally there was outrage and a call for a harsher sentence amongst other more vile things. This is a real life story. With this experience as an example, the author explains why love is better than hate. He shows how easy it is to judge and condemn, but difficult to actually try to understand and then forgive and love.

It is sad to know this book was actually banned from Amazon just a few days after it was released. Even sadder is the fact that those who advocated for its ban are people who either didn't read the book or didn't finish reading it. Guess what ? The epub version of the copy I downloaded has only thirty five pages. I finished reading it in less than thirty minutes. This is proof of the sad fact that, most people (about 50% of the literate population) don't go through a single book in one year.

The book was very inspiring. To be honest, as I was reading the first few pages, I couldn't understand nor agree with the author. By the time I was halfway through the book, the message started flowing. The issue of anger and resentment is universal. The facts provided were true. Personally, I find anger and resentment easier to express than forgiveness and love. The ability to forgive a rapist or a suicide bomber or a child molester or any other criminal is difficult, and loving them is even harder. This book has helped to inspire me to check my anger and put in efforts to love more and love all. I have just signed up for a thirty days challenge on "Intensions Inspire" (an online community platform that motivates individuals to challenge themselves and become better) after reading this book.

The book was a quick, thought provoking , smooth read. It was well written. The author is definitely an experienced and informed mind. However, there was a wrongly spelled word (tl;dr), that was repeated in the book. Some sentences were also difficult to grasp at first glance. Nonetheless, it was a beautiful, well written book.

The book was informative and advocated for a better way of life. I was however thrown aback by the wrong word and complicated sentences. It is for this reason that I would rate The Banned Book about Love by Scott Hughes 3 out of 4. I would recommend this book to everyone. We all have that dark side of anger and resentment and this book might help lure us to the light of forgiveness and love.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like Eric77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The message is an old one but remains relevant and necessary. Cliche it might be, but love IS the answer.

Thanks, Eric77, for acting on the message!
Eric77

Post by Eric77 »

It is just as difficult as it is true. Thanks for the reply
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

The book deals with a hard topic for many people. That's why many decide just to ignore the topic. Thanks for your well written review!
Eric77

Post by Eric77 »

You are write to call it a hard topic. Thanks for the reply.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Great review. I'm glad it made you think and seek to focus on loving more.

I could be wrong because I'm not 100% up-to-date on things, but I think "tl;dr" is shorthand for "too long, didn't read", meaning 'this is what I said in a nutshell'.
Eric77

Post by Eric77 »

Thanks for filling me in on that acronym. I had stretched my brain to the ends of the earth still no clue. Thanks for the reply
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

No problem! I spend a fair amount of time on facebook for promotional purposes, so I've had to bone up on some of the current text-speak since it's used in statuses so frequently. Seems like I'm having to Google something every other day, cuz I'm scratching my head over it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”