Official Review: Chains by Frances Hendry

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Official Review: Chains by Frances Hendry

Post by Penny Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chains" by Frances Hendry.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chains, written by Frances Mary Hendry, a 71-year-old Scottish author, could be best described as a dark piece of historical fiction set at the turn of the 19th century. The topic is slavery, and the protagonists are many and varied. First is Juliet, a young woman of standing from a wealthy family. Feeling chained by her gender, she determines to secretly trade places with her brother on a business voyage and thereby prove to her father that she can take over the family business – slave trading. Next, meet Dand, a Scottish lad. Farm work is difficult, but Dand is able-bodied, though small. A trip to the fair to sell a cow ends with the poor lad's kidnapping and subsequent sale into slavery. He soon finds himself on a ship to Jamaica, serving as cabin boy under a brutal captain until he can be sold as a field hand. Hassan, a devout Muslim youth, is excited to be embarking on his first trip to buy slaves with his father. Eager to prove himself and frustrated when his authority is challenged, he puts aside his book learning about stopping injustice and instead becomes a brutal bully to the slaves in his charge. Gbodi, our youngest protagonist, is only twelve years old when her African village is attacked. Family members are murdered before her very eyes, and the youngsters of the village are captured and taken to the coast to be sold as slaves. Filled with fear and hatred, she is able to shut herself off from the outside world for a time. When she emerges from her “bubble,” she is fixated on revenge. Gbodi asks herself what her older brother would advise her to do, and also seeks help from her tribal gods by taking on the role of medicine woman among the slaves. In order to win the favor of her gods, she asks a fellow slave woman to throw her baby overboard as a child sacrifice – and the woman complies. Which of these characters will survive when death and suffering run rampant? Will their real life experience change the way they view slavery and those involved with it? Those are the questions Hendry puts forth to her readers.

Although Chains is labeled as a young adult book, the content and over-the-top graphic descriptions of violence, suffering, brutality, and death are anything but suitable for the young adult genre. Hendry seeks to be historically accurate, and she is. That being said, Chains is a heavy read, difficult to pick up again and continue, and often leaving the reader feeling sickened and horrified. Hendry details tribal sacrifices of babies followed by subsequent cannibalism, the graphic descriptions of slaves being tightly packed into the holds of ships, cholera, filth, sexual exploitation of the young and defenseless, brutal beatings, and more. To read Chains is to see the slave trade laid out for you in all of its horror.

Despite the dark content, character growth slowly occurs toward the end of the book. While Hendry's characters are believable, they cannot be described as likable until the last quarter of the story. Juliet initially despises her family, but at least comes to realize that the slaves they are trading are actually human people like herself. Dand has little to no desire to return home. He himself does not want to be a slave, but he accepts the slavery of black people as something normal, thinking that they are not fully human. Hassan and his father continually quote the Koran, but Hassan is brutal to the slaves in his charge. He feels that real life supersedes the tenets he has learned. Gbodi hides her hatred behind a sweet smile, seeking to slowly and secretly kill and hurt those who have enslaved her. While her attitude is understandable, her injunction to a slave mother to throw her baby to the sharks during the sea voyage is difficult to get past. In the end, all of the characters have learned and grown, for better or for worse, and they are no longer as difficult to care about as they were in the beginning of the story. Some even allow what they have learned to change their misconceptions.

Hendry's writing makes use of a great deal of written-out accents and old (but historically accurate) terms. In particular, the thick Scottish accent of Dand was difficult to comprehend without rereading the passages a few times, and this comes from an avid reader. Chains was certainly proofread, but lacked professional editing, as evidenced by noticeable typos here and there, some questionable punctuation, and a few mechanical errors such as incorrect spacing and accidental extra blank lines.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Hendry was historically accurate, and her characters were believable, if not likable until the end of the book. However, her graphic descriptions of brutality, filth, sickness, death, and more certainly would classify this as adult historical fiction, not a young adult novel. Chains is a difficult read. The author makes heavy use of written-out accents and old terms that are not explained, requiring the reader to do some of their own research to understand. The content itself is sickening and horrific, making this a difficult book to keep on picking up. Additional copy editing is needed for typos and mechanical errors. Nevertheless, readers who enjoy historical fiction and want to read accurate and graphic descriptions of the slave trade may find this book educational and enlightening. The main redeeming factor is the character growth portrayed at the end.

Chains
View: on Bookshelves

Like Penny Lee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This definitely sounds like an adult book because of all the graphic descriptions. Hopefully this book also gets properly editted.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Oh, I don't like to read books about violence. When I look at the picture, it really speak about violence. I like your review. Cool!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Amagine wrote:This definitely sounds like an adult book because of all the graphic descriptions. Hopefully this book also gets properly editted.

Great Review! ?
Thanks Amagine! This book was certainly historically accurate, and hopefully will be eye opening about the horrors of slavery.

-- 21 Aug 2017, 21:46 --
readandsmile wrote:Oh, I don't like to read books about violence. When I look at the picture, it really speak about violence. I like your review. Cool!
Yes, it is a very violent book, but historically accurate. Thanks for your kind comment!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! I too don't like thick accents while reading a book. I have found that they hinder the reading flow as I have to read them many times to fully comprehend them.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

This sees like a very heavy read... not my style. It depresses me sometimes when booka are TOO historically accurate, as some historical attributes are not as easy to hear or read a second time around. I agree from your analysis that this story is much more suited for an adult historical fiction.... on that note, thank you for your very detailed review!
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Amazing review, Penny. I like historical fictions but I think this one's a little bit heavy for me. Thanks for sharing, though.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

The Researcher wrote:Nice review! I too don't like thick accents while reading a book. I have found that they hinder the reading flow as I have to read them many times to fully comprehend them.
Yes! A light writing of the accent is enjoyable, but too much emphasis on the accent detracts from understanding. Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)

-- 22 Aug 2017, 00:26 --
Excitedreads wrote:This sees like a very heavy read... not my style. It depresses me sometimes when books are TOO historically accurate, as some historical attributes are not as easy to hear or read a second time around. I agree from your analysis that this story is much more suited for an adult historical fiction.... on that note, thank you for your very detailed review!
It is a heavy read, but somewhat eye-opening. Thank you for your comments!

-- 22 Aug 2017, 00:27 --
LadyClaire wrote:Amazing review, Penny. I like historical fictions but I think this one's a little bit heavy for me. Thanks for sharing, though.
Yes -- I don't consider myself an overly sensitive reader, but this book was difficult due to the topic and detailed descriptions. Thanks for commenting!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Penny Lee! I sincerely doubt that young adults can bear to read such a violent story, even if the characters are of the same age. Reading about such atrocities is depressing, even for us hardened souls. We can only pray that these inhumane experiences no longer happen in our modern times.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would agree this isn't for young adults. I'm not sure, though, that it's too graphic. It's unfortunate, but this is the way things actually happened. Yes, it churns the stomach, but I doubt that author is saying anything untrue... It's really sad actually.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Miriam Molina wrote:Hi, Penny Lee! I sincerely doubt that young adults can bear to read such a violent story, even if the characters are of the same age. Reading about such atrocities is depressing, even for us hardened souls. We can only pray that these inhumane experiences no longer happen in our modern times.
The reason it's a difficult read is because the events portrayed were historically accurate, not just some fiction that can be dismissed. Unfortunately, the world is going from bad to worse in some ways -- the author mentions the surprising fact that there are more people enslaved today, in the 21st century, than ever before in the past! That was a fact that I was shocked to read, and I do feel that people should be aware of it. Thank you for your thoughtful comments. :)

-- 23 Aug 2017, 11:55 --
kandscreeley wrote:I would agree this isn't for young adults. I'm not sure, though, that it's too graphic. It's unfortunate, but this is the way things actually happened. Yes, it churns the stomach, but I doubt that author is saying anything untrue... It's really sad actually.
Yes, I agree with you that it's not too graphic for adults -- just too graphic for the genre it was published under. I do agree that people should be aware of what happened in history (and that slavery is still happening today). It is sad indeed.
Metamorphising
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Metamorphising »

Well, that was a great review! I probably won't be reading it anytime soon. Learning about some realities, for me, needs to be done in small doses! Thanks for the review!
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Metamorphising wrote:Well, that was a great review! I probably won't be reading it anytime soon. Learning about some realities, for me, needs to be done in small doses! Thanks for the review!
Yes, small doses are easier to handle! Thanks for reading and commenting!
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

It seems depressing to me ?
Admirable review though ???
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I really don't like it when novels are inappropriately classified. People often use the classifications to make recommendations. One would not want to recommend something like this to a young teen, whom is often the target for something classified as "young adult".
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”