Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donny and Mary Grace‘s California Adventures is a novel by Catherine Anna Pepe, and it is full of adventure, mystery, and suspense.

Donny Miller is a five-year-old boy born with a special condition, down syndrome. He has an older sister, Mary Grace, who is always looking after him. They both reside in Wichita, Kansas, with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Miller. Donny and Grace are forced to relocate to California to go live with their grandparents after their parents are sent on a religious mission in Africa. At first, Mary Grace struggles to accept this. She is not convinced that things will be easy for her and her brother without their parents around. She wishes they could all just stay in Wichita. Donny and Mary Grace have to start over a new life in California, making new friends and attending a new school. Will Donny and Mary Grace adapt to their new environment?

The book has one hundred and thirteen pages. It is divided into seventeen chapters and an afterword at the end of the book. The author starts by acknowledging some people who were instrumental in making this book a success. The story kicks off in Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita, Kansas, where Donny is lost, and his family is looking for him. The book uses both the present and the past tense.

What I liked most about the book is how the author vividly describes the characters, places, and events that unfold. This enabled me to have a clear picture in my mind of what was going on. For example, the puzzle of the mysterious notes involving Donny and Mary Grace being bullied in North Elementary School, California, was well elaborated. I was so curious about what would happen next, and this kept me reading. I also liked the flow and the simple breakdown of the story. It had interesting mysteries to be solved. I especially liked how Mary Grace and the Grandma Gang came up with ideas and clues to find solutions. It felt like a detective hunt. I was looking forward to an interesting read, and I was not disappointed. Since I did not find any grammatical errors while reading, this book appears to have been professionally edited.

In conclusion, this is an adventurous novel with an exciting storyline. There is nothing I disliked about it. I, therefore, rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes adventure and mystery. I cannot think of any groups of people who wouldn't enjoy reading this book.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Wow, what an exceptional review, Melissa! I can't think of anything you missed about the book. That is incredible! I love this book as I enjoyed the moral lessons imparted by the author.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
JuliusOnyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusonyango.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by JuliusOnyango »

I loved the way you wrote the review. I enjoyed reading it. I'm sure kids below the age of 16 will enjoy it.
reviewstostrangers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewstostrangers.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by reviewstostrangers »

Melisa Jane wrote: 21 May 2023, 08:25 For example, the puzzle of the mysterious notes involving Donny and Mary Grace being bullied in North Elementary School, California, was well elaborated. I was so curious about what would happen next, and this kept me reading.
I remember feeling the exact same way when I read it. So I completely understand your point!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”