Review of The Bitter-Sweet Search for a Father

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Zain
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Review of The Bitter-Sweet Search for a Father

Post by Sarah Zain »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Bitter-Sweet Search for a Father" by Patrick A. Davy.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad." This quote has crossed my mind lately, so when I found The Bitter-Sweet Search for a Father by Patrick A. Davy, it sparked my curiosity to read the book. The story began with Pete, the boy who was deprived of the support and love of his father, who abandoned him even before he saw him, and the tenderness of his mother, who left him when he was a year old in the custody of his grandmother and aunt to study in England, but she kept in touch with him.

Pete never knew why his father abandoned him, and he kept wondering why all his life. He learned, graduated, married Faith and had two sons, but the search for his father is still a desire that represents a missing part of him that he couldn't overcome. So he decided to start his search for his father, using all means and people who could have knowledge of his father, like his aunt, who participated in his upbringing, and one of his relatives named Nigel. In the course of his search, and with many disappointments, Pete discovered some facts about his father, such as the existence of siblings. What did Pete discover, too? Was he able to reach his father and tell him everything that was on his mind during those years? Did he get an answer to his questions? All of that will be answered in this carefully written book.

I really liked the book with all its details and the author's way of narrating the events. Pete's character is filled with many feelings that give the story a realistic human aspect and raise many questions in my mind. Why all this insistence on meeting a father who doesn't care about you or even wants you to know his whereabouts? With my understanding of his desire to know the truth. The author really excelled in describing the feelings that stirred up inside Pete and focusing the events on what was important and related to the storyline. And with personal experience with those who don't appreciate what they have, whether children, parents, or family in general. Hence, I greatly appreciate the author's showing the dimensions of the personality that wishes for this to exist and the characters that symbolise the opposite.

I didn't find anything to dislike here, as all the elements are complete for me, whether the dialogue style, the plot of the story, or the drawing of the characters. However, I hoped that the author would add little information about the background of the relationship between the father and his children who lived with him, because I couldn't imagine a justification for their treatment and their apparent hatred of him. In my opinion, this would have been useful in increasing coexistence with the story.

I am one of the people who hate multiple relationships for many reasons, and in this story, the author sheds light in his own way on one of the negative effects of that, such as neglecting the children of those relationships and the difficulty or inability to give them or prove their rights, whether emotional or material. Despite the point that I mentioned in the previous paragraph, it does not detract from the book, and therefore it deserves to be rated 5 out of 5 stars.

I enjoyed and was greatly affected by reading the story and all the details added by the author, from the selfishness of the siblings to the lack of sympathy of the relatives. This book is well edited, and I recommend it to all readers, beginning with teenagers, especially those who have problems with their families. This story suits whoever wants to reach his entitlement, whether to know the truth of a matter or to reach his material right; it gives motivation not to give up and suits anyone who doesn't appreciate the blessings he has that someone else may wish for, even for a moment.

The Bitter-Sweet Search for a Father
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Sarah Zain wrote: 25 May 2023, 16:10 Why all this insistence on meeting a father who doesn't care about you or even wants you to know his whereabouts?
I really believe there is something about a DNA connection, especially if he had no other father figure in his life like a stepdad. This sounds like a powerful storyline. In checking the genre, I see it's listed under other fiction, and the Amazon category seems a bit off. At any rate, I would not be surprised if there were an element of truth to this story. I do hope Pete got answers to his questions and found peace.

Thank you for your thorough and engaging review, Sarah!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

MsH2k wrote: 31 May 2023, 19:32
Sarah Zain wrote: 25 May 2023, 16:10 Why all this insistence on meeting a father who doesn't care about you or even wants you to know his whereabouts?
I really believe there is something about a DNA connection, especially if he had no other father figure in his life like a stepdad. This sounds like a powerful storyline. In checking the genre, I see it's listed under other fiction, and the Amazon category seems a bit off. At any rate, I would not be surprised if there were an element of truth to this story. I do hope Pete got answers to his questions and found peace.

Thank you for your thorough and engaging review, Sarah!
I totally agree with you there's a truth in this. He kind of will have some answers which was not enough for me but according to Pete character is convenient enough. Thank you Donna for your kind words and sharing your always useful thoughts. 💗
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It might be have been lonely away from love and care of parents, but having relatives and a grandmother is the next best thing. That said, no one can replace parents. I would also like to know the answers to all the questions you've raised. I like that lesson to appreciate the blessings we have. It's a really intriguing review Sarah! Thank you.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I've known someone like Pete who is looking for her father and thankfully now, she found him. There's always a connection when seeing a real dad as it seems your heart will melt. That's what I see in my relative when she met her father for the first time. A child always longing for a father's love, just like Pete. It seems the book has many touching moments of father and son. Your review is wonderful, Sarah!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Kavita Shah wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 00:28 It might be have been lonely away from love and care of parents, but having relatives and a grandmother is the next best thing. That said, no one can replace parents. I would also like to know the answers to all the questions you've raised. I like that lesson to appreciate the blessings we have. It's a really intriguing review Sarah! Thank you.
You right Kavita. It is the next best thing. Personally I won't care about who doesn't care about me . But it depends on the personality and how much these missed parents affect your life. Thank you Kavita for your continued support and your kind words.
Minnie Clayton
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Minnie Clayton »

I've known someone like Pete who is looking for her father and thankfully now, she found him. There's always a connection when seeing a real dad as it seems your heart will melt. That's what I see in my relative when she met her father for the first time. A child always longing for a father's love, just like Pete. It seems the book has many touching moments of father and son. Your review is wonderful, Sarah!
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 02:24 I've known someone like Pete who is looking for her father and thankfully now, she found him. There's always a connection when seeing a real dad as it seems your heart will melt. That's what I see in my relative when she met her father for the first time. A child always longing for a father's love, just like Pete. It seems the book has many touching moments of father and son. Your review is wonderful, Sarah!
I am very glad for your relative that she had the chance to met her father. I wish her happiness.
Yes there's a few moments to shows us that
We must use the time well, otherwise the opportunity will be lost.
Thank you Hazel I am always happy to see your comments.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sarah Zain wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 07:14
Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 02:24 I've known someone like Pete who is looking for her father and thankfully now, she found him. There's always a connection when seeing a real dad as it seems your heart will melt. That's what I see in my relative when she met her father for the first time. A child always longing for a father's love, just like Pete. It seems the book has many touching moments of father and son. Your review is wonderful, Sarah!
I am very glad for your relative that she had the chance to meet her father. I wish her happiness.
Yes there are a few moments to show us that
We must use the time well, otherwise, the opportunity will be lost.
I want to share happiness, so I'll do my best to give more comments to you soon. I love sharing my thoughts and I'm happy my comment finds
you well. You're welcome, Sarah!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I always wonder about situations like this too - People who look for their birth parents whether they have adoptive parents or not. I think it's about knowing and not knowing. It might be easy for some who know their parents to dismiss them because of certain difficulties in their relationships, but for some who never met their birth parents, it might drive them crazy trying to know the truth. Just to know the truth. There's usually some idealization too.
Thanks for the truly intriguing review. I'd love to read this book.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 07:47
Sarah Zain wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 07:14
I am very glad for your relative that she had the chance to meet her father. I wish her happiness.
Yes there are a few moments to show us that
We must use the time well, otherwise, the opportunity will be lost.
I want to share happiness, so I'll do my best to give more comments to you soon. I love sharing my thoughts and I'm happy my comment finds
you well. You're welcome, Sarah!
It surely does. Your sharing of thoughts is forever welcome 🌹. Thank you Hazel 💗.
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

zainherb wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 10:03 I always wonder about situations like this too - People who look for their birth parents whether they have adoptive parents or not. I think it's about knowing and not knowing. It might be easy for some who know their parents to dismiss them because of certain difficulties in their relationships, but for some who never met their birth parents, it might drive them crazy trying to know the truth. Just to know the truth. There's usually some idealization too.
Thanks for the truly intriguing review. I'd love to read this book.
Thank you zainherb for taking time to comment. You have a good point .
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I enjoyed reading your well-detailed review. It seems like another take of the importance of family. I hope Pete finally find what he's looking for. However, I'm not sure I'll check out this book as it doesn't seem my kind of book.
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Chinazo Anozie wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 15:01 I enjoyed reading your well-detailed review. It seems like another take of the importance of family. I hope Pete finally find what he's looking for. However, I'm not sure I'll check out this book as it doesn't seem my kind of book.
Thank you Chinazo for your kind comment.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Truly, a father's love is needed in a person's life. Pete was an accomplished man with his own family but still yearned to know his father. Interesting book. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”