Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review of Terms of Service

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In this futuristic novel, the UCE (Unity, Community, Equality) regime rises to power. They decided to eradicate any signs of gender and race; everyone looks the same, stripped of personality. You mustn't waste food. You mustn't be late. You mustn't be unique. You must comply with all terms of service or deal with the consequences. Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill is the first book in "The AI Dystopia" book series. It's about an oppressed society led by fear and under artificial intelligence's surveillance.

Kim, the main character, had been working for "The Artificial Intelligence Company" for 5 years and had been relatively successful in training the operational automatons (simple devices incapable of thinking). As part of her role, she helped the companies maintain their authority by ensuring the fulfilment of their terms. Each transgressor would be penalised; their social ranking would decrease, causing their living conditions to degrade. Kim had a modest life; however, she felt lonely and sad. Constantly empty. Broken.

Her life takes a turn when she re-encounters Shan, an old friend from school. Shan had always defied the rules, and Kim had always been in trouble for following her. Will Shan drag Kim into trouble again? What control does Kim have over her life? Will Kim ever be able to overcome her internal issues?

The cover and the title of the book on their own are very appealing. The plot is very stimulating; oppression has always been present over the years, and this ultra-modern version will undoubtedly make one think about present-day issues. Additionally, I was intrigued by the omission of gender because it made the characters look more like machines and less like people, contributing to the dehumanised picture of this society. I loved the development of Kim's character; her trauma is very well-founded. Kim started this journey so ordinarily in her non-special life and gradually grew into an individual (yes, an individual with her own wishes and ideas). Even the way she addresses herself changes as she starts to develop. The whole book is extremely detailed and true to the world created by the author. The virtual reality scenes are skilfully described, making them extremely realistic for the reader.

There's nothing I dislike about this book; however, I must warn that the beginning is slow as the author needs to introduce this whole new world before the main plot starts. This didn't keep me from enjoying it since the beginning though.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars since I have absolutely no complaints about it. Furthermore, this book was exceptionally well edited, especially given the difficulties of writing about characters of "unspecified" gender. The author chose to use the pronouns "she/her/hers" for all characters, which led me to think (unconsciously) about many characters as being female and then finding out they were not. I took it with humour as I slowly adjusted the characters in my mind. I'm eager to read the next book in the sequel.

I recommend this book to lovers of artificial intelligence and science fiction. This book is also recommended for mature readers due to its sexual content, drug and alcohol usage, and profane language.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I think a lot of "Kim" in society. Expert in their field but internally unsatisfied and discontented. She trains operational automatons but training her optimistic mind isn't easy for her. I agree, the sequel is much more interesting. Another amazing review of yours, Sara!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

It's like this book is ruling the review community, lol. Jokes apart, I really enjoyed your review. Can't wait to read this and the sequel. Thanks, Sara.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

I'm still on the fence as to whether to read this one for review or save it for a later date. I really liked how you explained the omission of gender throughout the book. This is a very interesting factor that I have not seen mentioned in other reviews.

Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 18:26 I think a lot of "Kim" in society. Expert in their field but internally unsatisfied and discontented. She trains operational automatons but training her optimistic mind isn't easy for her. I agree, the sequel is much more interesting. Another amazing review of yours, Sara!
True! So many people working away and not being truly happy, plus Kim has never really been free. I love this character! Thank you so much for your comment!
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Nisha DSouza wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 20:50 It's like this book is ruling the review community, lol. Jokes apart, I really enjoyed your review. Can't wait to read this and the sequel. Thanks, Sara.
True! I resisted for long cause sci-fi is usually not my favourite type.. so i thought before reading this one! I really loved. So much I'm reading the second book! Thank you for your comment!
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Donna Walker 1 wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 23:26 I'm still on the fence as to whether to read this one for review or save it for a later date. I really liked how you explained the omission of gender throughout the book. This is a very interesting factor that I have not seen mentioned in other reviews.

I really liked it too. In my opinion, the author is very clear about other characters but not specific enough about Kim's. It makes it mysterious. My favourite type of book is historical fiction, and I was unsure about this one for a while but I'm truly happy I finally read it. To be honest, I've read the second one too (nearly finishing). I would love to hear your thoughts on this one if you review it. Thank you for for reading and commenting!
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

This is an amazing outline of the novel. You picked the most important factors that the storyline is built on and presented them in a simplified, brief overview. I'm glad the omission of gender did not affect your enjoyment. Your review is outstanding, Sara. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the sequel. 
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

I’ve read a few reviews for this book and I always find it interesting how each person finds something unique in their reading of the book. Great review!
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 11:35 This is an amazing outline of the novel. You picked the most important factors that the storyline is built on and presented them in a simplified, brief overview. I'm glad the omission of gender did not affect your enjoyment. Your review is outstanding, Sara. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the sequel. 
Thank you so much for being so supportive and kind! I finished already and I really liked it, it didn't take the course I thought it would at all! And towards the end it was mind-blowing.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Jack King wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 11:48 I’ve read a few reviews for this book and I always find it interesting how each person finds something unique in their reading of the book. Great review!
Maybe you will read it someday? If you do, I will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Thanks for the comment !!
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I have had this book on my radar for some time now. After reading your review, I’m sure I will read it. Thanks, you did a good job.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Carlos Mata Saenz wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 20:38 I have had this book on my radar for some time now. After reading your review, I’m sure I will read it. Thanks, you did a good job.
Thank you SO much. I really hope you enjoy it. I will be waiting for your review! The sequel is as good but more action-packed.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”