Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Bluewater Walkabout, Tina Dreffin took readers on her adventure to Africa with her husband and two sons. As a young girl, Tina's love for traveling was birthed as her family moved around a lot. Now, fate had brought her together with a man who not only loved to travel but also exposed her to a love for the sea. Years later, their adventure began, fraught with excitement and fear but propelled by determination. The family soon discovered that whether or not Africa lived up to their dreams or to the scary warnings they had heard would be entirely up to them.

Tina rendered this memoir with a mastery that would grab and hold the reader's attention. The language and the tone of her narration allowed me to see 'her' in the story. The way she described her husband and sons showed a sense of humor. I saw her strength in handling life challenges and her innate kindness in how she cared and loved her family and others. This added a lot of warmth to her story and made the book easy to read.

The fantastic thing about this book was that it didn't feel like the author's attempt to immortalize herself but a genuine act to share her life and teach others life wisdom she had discovered on her journey. The first lesson learned, as stated in the book, would probably be this: "follow your dreams, Now." The message was to pursue one's dreams now and not tomorrow because tomorrow may come with dreams and fantasies. The author aptly quoted Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now, you would be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did." This message would surely come in handy in a world where dreams are easily frustrated.

The author presented appalling statistics regarding sexual assaults on women. Women have always been victims of sexual assaults and molestations, and the worst part of it was always the way these women were made to feel like the wrongdoers instead of the victims. This memoir brought the stigma that society had attached to women who are victims of rape to the fore. I believe the conversation, the one that would address the condemnation of victims of rape, to be even as important as the sexual assault itself.

Tina's life with her husband, Peter, was very compelling. Readers would be persuaded by their life to take a closer examination at the meaning of life and what it truly meant to live. Their courage and adventurous spirit, knitted closely by their love, provided a wonderful experience. I felt grateful that Tina wrote this book because of the many lessons and wisdom nuggets and the restoration of belief in fate, love, and the beauty of humanity. Their life would teach others that there was more than one way to live and everyone should have the boldness to follow their unique path, irrespective of society's definition.

The book was emotion-packed as I watched this average family become an extraordinary unit bonded through their fear. I laughed with them, trembled with them, and basked in victory with each win they accomplished. This book was a product of authentic storytelling; I disliked nothing.

I'd recommend this book to all lovers of a good story based on family adventures. Considering the minimal errors and absence of any negative aspect, I'd rate Bluewater Walkabout four out of four stars.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I recently read this book as well and thoroughly loved it! Great review!
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

A lot of lessons to be learnt about life, family and marriage. I enjoyed reading your review. It was explicit.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

Being a South African I was mesmerized by Tina and her family's crazed adventures to venture arount the atlantic ocean. Such a beautiful memoir.
Unused Profile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-vegas.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Unused Profile »

Great review. I am excited to read this book and feel prepared for some of the difficult parts ahead.
Thera reads
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Thera reads »

Whether you're afraid of heights or nervous about trying something new, an adventure can be a great way to face your fears head-on.
Osakwe Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-precious.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Osakwe Precious »

One of the things I loved about Bluewater Walkabout" is Dreffin's ability to weave personal stories and experiences with valuable insights into the cultures and people she encounters along her journey
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

I enjoyed how the book seamlessly blended adventure, history, and personal growth, creating a multifaceted narrative that appealed to a wide range of readers.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”