Review of Amora

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roderick Voss
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Review of Amora

Post by Roderick Voss »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Amora" by Grant Hallstrom.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amora by Grant J. Hallstrom is a work of historical fiction that tells the story of a noblewoman's love, friendship, grief, betrayal, trials, and forgiveness. The author tells an intriguing story filled with exciting events that keep the reader guessing.

Amora is facing death in the midst of a congregation when the story begins. The author takes the reader back eighteen years to show how Amora got into that situation. Amora was born into a prosperous family. She married Leo, the love of her life. Natalie and Esteban were born to them. Natalie, their first child, was murdered, and tragedy struck the family far too soon. Who could have murdered their daughter? Amora chose forgiveness over vengeance, but grief tore Leo apart from his family, causing him to become more involved in political affairs than family affairs. Amora began doing charity work for homeless children. She embraces Christianity through Justin, a Christian defender in the Roman Empire. Christianity was considered illegal at the time. As a result, her husband and many of her loved ones turned against her. Get this book to find out if Amora survived death.

This is a fantastic piece of historical fiction. I can't recall the last time I read something that held my attention. I was sad when the tragedy part began. This shows how unpredictable this book was. The author is an excellent storyteller. If this were a movie, I would gladly watch it. The viewpoint from which the book was told, as well as the dialogue between the characters, helped the storyline flow smoothly. I commend the author on his exceptional writing style. The character development in this book was excellent. I liked how the characters were well-developed and how they each contributed to the plot in their own way.

While reading this book, I discovered no flaws. I couldn't bear the early persecution of Christians, but that didn't stop me from finishing this book. This book explores many themes, such as love, forgiveness, trust, and repentance. It indeed taught me many moral lessons. I appreciated the author's inclusion of a glossary and historical note, which helped me understand the diverse cast of characters and Greco-Roman culture.

I rate this inspiring book 4 out of 4 stars because of the author's writing style. In this book, I found no grammatical errors. This shows how exceptionally well-edited it was. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction.

Amora
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bezekasia23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bezekasia23.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Bezekasia23 »

This is a great review, I can't wait to read the book. As a lover of historical fiction, I think it'll be a great read. The rwview was clear and concise; I didn't nitive any spoilers. Great review.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

Amora is unquestionably a woman of honor. Persecution is a scourge that affects people all over the world. But I'd like to know why such a lovely and kind woman is despised by her family.
Dgamelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgamelaw.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Dgamelaw »

I love this review. It contains no spoilers. I'll love to add this book to my bookshelves.
Marybreda reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marybreda-reads.html
Latest Review: Bawdy Jokes & Patter Songs by Denny Hatch

Post by Marybreda reads »

Am not a fan of historical fiction but this book has quite an interesting storyline. I think I would give it a try. Nice review.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

Amora? A courageous woman with a nice name. It's so sad that her stand was trying to cost her, her life. I'll like to read this book. I'm intrigued. Good review.
Malthide Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malthide-jones.html
Latest Review: that was then by bob turner

Post by Malthide Jones »

Numerous emotions are included in this novel. I appreciate how the author developed the characters and the narrative arc in this novel. He is skilled at manipulating the reader. This review is excellent and well-written.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

A fascinating historical fiction read. Through the story of Amora and Justin, the author attempts to provide the reader with insight into the early persecution of Christians. A fantastic review.
George Baker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george-baker.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by George Baker »

The viewpoint from which the book was told, as well as the dialogue between the characters, aided in the smooth flow of the storyline.
Harry Torsney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-torsney.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Harry Torsney »

I have been dying to read book like this about the early challenges of Christians faced. Amora sounds like an emotional and intriguing book that I will enjoy. Thanks for this nice review.
koffi Malay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

I hope things end well for Amora because your review sounds too emotional. Thanks for this amazing review, I will love to read this because it is based on true events.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

Books that just bear the name of a single character as the title always create this suspense. And honestly this book hits differently, especially for the fact that it bothers on Christians challenges.
Mark Ntuli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-ntuli.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mark Ntuli »

From the beginning of this book, which drives the plot until the end, the reader is kept in high suspense. I couldn't bear the tragic scenes that occurred to Amora.
Cat pill35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cat-pill35.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Cat pill35 »

This book tries to show the early spread of Christianity. The challenges so many Christians faced during the ancient times.
Shane Carter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shane-carter.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Shane Carter »

I really enjoyed reading this review. The positive and negative aspects were properly outlined. This book would be fun to read. I can't wait to get started.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”