Review of The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review of The Reel Sisters

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Four women decide to spend a weekend together in a cabin up in the mountains on the Arkansas River. This is their way of keeping abreast of happenings in each other's lives. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is the story of four ladies (Veronica, Amanda, Sophie, and Rose) who find solace in fly fishing and use it as an escape from the worries of life. On one of their fly-fishing weekends, they rescued a stranger who fell into the water and drifted in their direction. Who is this strange girl? What was she doing in the woods alone? Was her addition to the sisterhood a blessing or a curse? Read the rest of this book to find out.

One thing I like about this book is that it gives practical fishing tips. Sophie was out fishing in the Arkansas River one day without catching anything. On approaching Rose, she wanted to know the likely cause of her bad luck. Rose gave her some fishing advice, saying that it is not strength but timing that produces the best catch. This single piece of advice changed her fishing story. This book also has some lessons on photography, including shooting at different angles and adjusting to ambient light to get the best photograph.

There are also other things I like about this book. First, this book has a lot of facts about a fish that got my attention. For example, if you ever go fishing and a fish escapes with your hook in its mouth, do not worry about the fish dying, as they have a solid digestive acid that can dissolve metals within a day or two. Also, I was impressed with how the author told the story of how Sophie met and fell in love with Buck. After an unsuccessful attempt at catching a fish, her fly accidentally hooked a stranger, who became her lover.

In this book, I saw the power of women's support. The women in this book had each other's backs all the time. This is what made their friendship stronger. Sophie, at one time, because of her experience, found it difficult to date anyone. But with encouragement from her friends, she found the courage to give love a chance again.

Honestly, the author of this book is a great storyteller. I enjoyed the way the author developed the characters in this book. Furthermore, this book is one of the best you will get on friendship. The editors of this book were exceptional with their editing. There is no part of this book that I disliked. Considering the above, I am giving this book a rating of five out of five stars.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves fly fishing and wants tips on how to get better at this sport. Also, if you are looking for a fly fishing group that can help with networking and friendship benefits, check out the ending of this book.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 546
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

The book is full of very interesting details such as practical fishing tips. Thanks for the excellent review, this book definitely has my attention.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

This is a nice review, I haven't read this novel but I am sure to grab a copy soon.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

The review of this novel reminds me of Man Mission by Eythan Uliel a non-fiction novel about four male friends who traveled around the world exploring the wildness and wonder of it. The bond between the four female friends is what I would love to know more about when reading this novel.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Reel sisters are one of the most amazing books I have ever read. The love these ladies showed to the little girl is worth emulating. Good job on your review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings is book that details practical ways to create bonding among friends. In this case by going fly fishing.
Newestobc
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-newestobc.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Newestobc »

I enjoy the idea of fly fishing in this book. I think I will have to read this book to learn more about the sport. I’m curious.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I'm not familiar with the sport of Fly-fishing. I would love to know more about it as well as the whether the addiction of the fifth woman to the sisterhood was a curse. Beautiful review.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

I really appreciate the way this review has highlighted the strengths and weaknesses of The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings. It's clear that the reviewer has read the book in its entirety and has given a comprehensive overview. I'm particularly interested in the themes of empowerment, friendship, and camaraderie explored in the book. Nice review!
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Harry Benjamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Harry Benjamin »

The concept of fly fishing Is an amazing one. I enjoyed reading about the sport.
Peace Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

I love your review. It contains no spoiler and it expresses your concern about the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”