Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever considered living on a boat? Do you think that you can raise your children while cruising different seas and oceans? In her memoirs, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa, Tina Dreffin recounts her family's adventurous journey to South Africa and across the Atlantic Ocean. In South Africa, Tina, with her husband Peter and her two teenage sons, Adam and Warren, enjoyed the wildlife on a safari adventure in Kruger National Park. There, two other young pals, Sam and Gary, joined the family as crew members to go on another spectacular sea voyage. They set out from South Africa to the Caribbean on their newly acquired catamaran.

I had a great time reading this book. The book is undoubtedly full of interesting experiences. I had no idea that some people spent the majority of their lives on boats. That was how Tina and her family lived. Tina and Peter used to homeschool their sons while on different trips and adventures. That turned the whole family into experienced sailors. Their experience of homeschooling intrigued me. Their sons had experienced a loving upbringing free from bullying and violence.

Tina portrayed their safari excursion, the various wild creatures they encountered, and all of their other experiences in South Africa very well. I’ve learned a lot by reading this book. For instance, it was surprising to learn that hippos and buffalos kill more people than any other animal in Africa. I was enthralled by the vivid descriptions of their transoceanic journey and the various places they visited. They also experienced a lot of terrifying situations, such as encountering notorious gales at sea. In my opinion, this journey was a great opportunity for the whole family to acquire more geographical, geological, biological, and historical information.

The book was more than just a recounting of what transpired on that journey. Tina shared many of her thoughts, worries, and natural fears as a mother. She has also shared memories of events that took place prior to her marriage. The book included incidents of rape, sexual assault, and harassment that young women can face in the workplace. Additionally, Tina shared the tragic event of losing their first baby.

Perhaps the only negative aspect, in my opinion, was the use of many nautical terms and terminology that I was unfamiliar with. Many of the terms required me to look them up. I think that more explanation was needed for readers with no sailing experience. In addition, I would have appreciated more images in the book, such as the various animals, birds, and fish that they observed during their journey. The errors in the book were rare, so I can say that it was professionally edited.

Despite the minor drawbacks, I think this book deserves four out of four stars since it is a one-of-a-kind experience that deserves to be shared. I believe those who enjoy travel literature, adventures, wildlife, and the sea would find this book worth reading.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
María Andrea Fernández
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Gray Hunter
Bookshelf Size: 2273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez.html
fav_author_id: 5604
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 82%

Post by María Andrea Fernández »

There are, indeed, a lot of nautical and botanical terms that slowed down my reading of this book. I didn't know the name of a lot of the animals Tina mentions, for example. But I found her experience fascinating and inspiring. I think we've all thought of just running and living closer to nature. I know I have. But she actually made it work with a family in tow, so that blew my mind.
Great review!
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

María Andrea Fernández wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 20:05 There are, indeed, a lot of nautical and botanical terms that slowed down my reading of this book. I didn't know the name of a lot of the animals Tina mentions, for example. But I found her experience fascinating and inspiring. I think we've all thought of just running and living closer to nature. I know I have. But she actually made it work with a family in tow, so that blew my mind.
Great review!
I agree that it was an amazing experience to read a real family adventure. More explanation for the nautical terms would have made it clearer for the reader. Thanks for commenting and passing by.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 59%

Post by Tonia Freeman »

What a wonderful way to live and grow up. I can’t imagine the freedom one would feel in such a life. Thanks for your review.
Stephanie_Chapman
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-chapman.html
Latest Review: Tied to You by Cassandra Crull
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 125%

Post by Stephanie_Chapman »

One of my thoughts that makes me not travel in a boat (no matter what size) is that I am at the mercy of whatever is in the water if the boat sinks. I also wouldn't want to go on a safari- humans are on the menu for many of the predators as well as being killed by water buffalo (from understanding they don't give up until the target is dead) and hippo (they can swallow a person whole if they are so inclined). The snakes are another thing I would want to avoid. I am an animal lover, but I prefer to respect the wild from a distance of safety. The story is definitely adventurous. Great review!
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives life fully is prepared to die anytime." Mark Twain

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”