Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure

Post by Mildred Echesa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Down syndrome is a disease that causes one to be a retard. People with Down syndrome are developmentally disabled because they can not read, write, and care for themselves like prudent men. However, some persons don't fully recover from this disease but become capable of doing things like others, however, at a slower pace.

The Miller family often visit the zoo. Donny gets lost during one of their visits. The family work together to find him, and he is found on the train tram. Mr and Mrs Miller move to Kenya for missionary work at Episcopal Church. They send their children Donny and his older sister Mary Grace to California to live with their grandparents. While in California, anonymous letters are sent to Mary Grace because her brother is a retard. The Grandma Gang work together with the school administration to discover the bullies. Find out more about Donny and Grace's adventures with the Grandma Gang in California in the book Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure.

The book contains one hundred and ninety pages. Catherine A. Pepe writes it. It is divided into seventeen chapters. The book is solely based on the author's real-life brother, who has Down syndrome.

There are several things I loved about the book. Firstly, I love that the book is fast-paced; hence the book did not bore me. Events did not lag, and they collaborated well. Secondly, I like the care and love the two siblings received from their parents and grandparents. The children are shown love throughout the book and are supported by the people around them, most especially their grandparents.

Thirdly, I also enjoyed Donny's character. Donny has Down syndrome, but he is always happy and seeking a new adventure. He has a slogan that every day will be a good day. I admire that slogan because it helps one build a positive mindset. I also admire that Donny does not let Down syndrome be his weakness. He carries on his daily life activities like any other child and works equally hard.

There is nothing I disliked about the book since it was interesting, exciting and adventurous; hence I rate it four out of four stars. The book seems to have been professionally edited since I encountered no errors. I recommend this book to children above the age of five and young adults since the book is filled with adventure and lessons suitable for children and young adults.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Poetic Justice
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Down syndrome is a deadly disease that everyone will avoid. Though I don't know much about the disease. I will read the book to get more insight. Great review.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I am curious to know if the word "retard" is in this book because in some cultures it is considered pejorative.
Abu_Aisha1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

I have read this book too and I agree that your summary of the book captures the essential part of the book. However, Mary Grace is my best character in the book. I like her inquisitiveness and willingness to always solve mysteries. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for an amazing review!
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

I enjoyed reading your review as you adequately summarised the book while avoiding spoilers for those who are yet to read it. Great job
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

People have a lot of misconceptions about mental illnesses, and Down Syndrome to be specific. So with this book, it would be one step to education. People will step out of their ignorance and shed a light to one of vital discussions that are long overdue.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Sometimes, I often wonder how one gets Down Syndrome. This book shares a glimpse of what Down Syndrome patients pass through. It is nice to see someone spread the word and make children understand this case so they learnt not to make fun of people with Down Syndrome.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

Down's Syndrome is a heartbreaking condition to any family. This book may provide some valuable points to such families. Nice review.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

Thank you all for your comments, there is a lot I also don't know about down syndrome and I hope to make some research on it. However, this book provides essential information on how to live better with a person with Down syndrome and always make the person with it feel better.
Poetic Justice
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

I agree that Down syndrome is quite a hindrance for a child but I do not appreciate bullies. I hope the Grandma gang discover this bullies. Great review.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Down syndrome is one of the debilitating conditions. It is definitely hard for the parents to see their child like that. The author has done a great job here. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

I like the string message that this book portrayed; war against bullies in schools. I like that the author could write about taking control of a bully situation.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

Down syndrome is something I've had little luck understanding. I like that this book can simplify that aspect for me. Thanks for sharing this review.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I've read this book, and I enjoyed reading it and your review, especially how the author tackled bullying and taking responsibility. However, using 'retard' especially to refer to people with Down syndrome may be considered as being offensive.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Donny and May Grace story is an interesting read and the plot behind this book too is great. Although it is a children book I have high hopes that I will enjoy the book as an adult. Wonderful review, Welldone!!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”